KKPro and Netbooks

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

KKPro and Netbooks

Post by donne » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I was thinking of buying a netbook as a means of taking my complete set of genealogical data to Record Offices and recording stuff while there. Does anyone have experience of running KKPro with such a small display (typically about 10 inches)? Netbooks are generally less capable than laptops, having no CD/DVD drive, but those I've seen run a version of Windows, and have about 1GB RAM and 160GB hard disc.

I would still wish to maintain my desktop as my primary means of working while at home, which brings up another point. How does one stand in relation to the terms and conditions of the licence, which states that KKPro can only be 'installed and used' on one computer at any one time?

jhunt02

Working at genealogy offices

Post by jhunt02 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:22 am

I don't know about KKPro licensing restrictions.

In my own experience, I have usually found a spreadsheet program, such as Excel, to be the best for quickly recording the raw data from archive and parish registers. I can then copy and paste the information into KKPro once I return home, when I have more time.

Regards,
John

donne

Post by donne » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 am

Well, I certainly think that it's a good idea to make notes in a separate spreadsheet so that you can review the relevance of the data collected at home later.

But I still would like to have available my complete set of genealogical data to guide my research when at the office. I usually prepare for these visits by printing off and taping together a dozen or more A4 sheets of family tree, sometimes discovering too late when I'm there that I've omitted information on families I could have looked for.