Printing to a file

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

CaptJack06

Printing to a file

Post by CaptJack06 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 am

I'm using a registered version of TreeDraw 3.1.1

I have a chart which like most is large. My solution is fairly simple in that I find a local printer who has a large format printer, find out what printer they have and then install that printer's drivers on my PC. I then print my chart to that printer as a file and take the file to the printer on a memory stick or CD.

My problem is, TreeDraw doesn't appear to have the 'Print to file' option. Is there a way around this?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi,

You have to set up the "FILE" option in the printer driver. I haven't seen this done for some time but I believe you select ":FILE" as the output port instead of ":LPT1", ":COM1", etc.

A better solution is "Edit | Export | PDF file" to create an Adobe Acrobat file. your commercial printer will be able to print from that.

CaptJack06

Printing to a file

Post by CaptJack06 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:50 am

Hi Nick
Thanks for the info although I don't think that would be a solution. I think that 'Print to file' is application specific rather than printer specific. If I use, Word, Excel, PhotoShop, GenePro etc they all have the 'Print to file' option check box.

However, I've been investigating the pdf solution and reviewing the 'Wall charts coming up blank' advice you gave on 14 Feb 2008 and that seems to be a better solution. All I have to do now is find a local printing business.

CaptJack06

Post by CaptJack06 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 am

This is an update to my 'Printing to a file' post. I found a printing company who had a large format printer and they were able to print my family tree .pdf formatted files without any problem. They printed 2 different page size files, one 2378mm wide x 841mm high and the other 1189mm x 841mm with no problems. Result!!