Changing the page size on an existing chart

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

dlynch

Changing the page size on an existing chart

Post by dlynch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:00 pm

I have a quite complex tree, with much editing by hand, that I have been exporting to PDF and printing on A4.

I have just bought an A3 printer. I have made some additions to the tree and want to print the result on A3.

If I change the page setup to A3, the PDF output is still A4 (two pages).

If I create an empty A3 tree, and copy from the A4 tree to the A3 one, the result is corrupted ... all the data is there, but it is grossly mis-formatted.

How do I change the page size on an existing tree, please?

David Lynch

version 4.4.0 on Windows 10

Nick Hunter

Re: Changing the page size on an existing chart

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 am

Hi,
Please verify that using "File | Page setup" in TreeDraw to change the page size to A3 actaully changes the page size. You can see this by turning on the "Options | Display page breaks" setting. If this is OK, then "File | Export PDF file" should produce A3 pages in the PDF file.

dlynch

Post by dlynch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 am

It does *not* change the page size when viewed via Options | Display page breaks.

However, if I close and re-open the file, and do Page setup ... the size is shown as A3. Options | Display page breaks still shows A4.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi,
So when you use "File | Page setup" then change the "Paper size" to A3 and click on OK the dotted red lines do not change position?

dlynch

Post by dlynch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Yes, exactly.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi,
OK, that should not be happening. Does it work properly when you start a new chart or open a different one? If it does, it suggests some problem with your main chart file. Please email your main chart file to support@spansoft.org and we will try to recreate the problem.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 am

Hi,
Thank you for sending us your TreeDraw chart files.

>>> A4old1 opens without error, but shows nothing ... a blank window.

A4old1 opens correctly and does contain chart data. You are just looking at a blank part of the chart because of some empty chart elements. Try zooming out and use "Edit | Select all" to identify empty chart elements.

>>> A3new opens, shows the correct data, but shows A4 page size. Page setup shows the page size as A3.

A3new also opens correctly and the page breaks are showing the correct A3 page size.
However, there does appear to be a problem with the initial display of the chart when the file is first opened - the page breaks are shown at A4 and some parts of the chart are not displayed. We will investigate this. In the meantime, please drag the drawing area or zoom out to refresh the display.