K&K Runtime edition?

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

ballarj2

K&K Runtime edition?

Post by ballarj2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi, Nick,

Still using and appreciating the program a great deal.

At work we now have a very restrictinve policy on installing software other than those authorised to be used. So I had to uninstall K&K and the other 'handy' utilities I use! :cry:

We are not even allowed to have music, photographs or any personal data on our PC's (in fact even Windows Solitaire is removed).

Athough (go figure) we can attach thumb drives etc; just not save anything to the hard drive????

This got me thinking how great it would be if there was a stand alone 'run time' edition of K&K, that would fit on a USB stick?

Is this at all possible?

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi,

Kith and Kin Pro plus all its data files are small enough to fit onto a pendrive - the problem is that some of the ancilliary files are stored in "My documents" and <windows volume>\KKPro3Data. At present there is no way of moving these files.

Installing K&KPro also adds some entries to the system registry which is probably not allowed either.

Presumably you are allowed to have an Internet Browser? If so, and all you want to do is have your K&KPro data available for browsing, you could export the entire database as Web pages and stick those on your pendrive.

ballarj2

K&K Runtime edition?

Post by ballarj2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Nick,

Thanks for the reply, it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a way to provide a stand alone edition of K&K.

I have exported my database to the web and to CD as you suggested. But neither allows the flexibility of having a tree open in order to see relationships and the 'look & feel' of K&K.

Is it worth me trying to put the program and data on a stick to see what might happen? IE is it something you have proved NOT to work?

Thanks,
John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:04 am

Hi,

Well we haven't tried it. You would certainly get warning messages that some of the files were missing but you may be able to ignore that. K&KPro will add entries to the system registry when it starts up.