Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

laschapas

GEDCOM export

Post by laschapas » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Nick,

The GEDCOM help file says:-

"File:

This is the normal setting and should be used for transferring data to any system not mentioned below.

Kith and Kin Pro:

Use this setting if the GEDCOM file will be imported back into Kith and Kin Pro. This allows the program to include special data which can only be read by Kith and Kin Pro."

I am exporting a GEDCOM file which includes notes, to be imported to a none Kith&KinPro database. If I select [File:] as the Receiving System, notes are exported without the description field. If I select [Kith and Kin Pro:] as the Receiving System, notes are exported which include the description field. Is this a GEDCOM feature or is it a change in release 3 of Kith&KinPro ? What is so special about the description field of a note for GEDCOM not to include it? If it cannot be included with the note, could the help file be more specific about what is the "special data" that is not included.

John Wood

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,

GEDCOM does not support a description for notes. When you select "Kith and Kin Pro" as the receiving system, K&KPro adds a custom GEDCOM tag for the description field to allow it to be stored in the GEDCOM file and re-imported later into K&KPro. No other software importing this GEDCOM file will be able to handle the notes description tag.

Similarly, any other data which is specific to K&KPro (family rectangle positions for example) is added to the GEDCOM file only when you select "Kith and Kin Pro" as the receiving system.

Data which will only appear in a "Kith and Kin Pro" GEDCOM file are:
  • User-defined fields which have no GEDCOM tag (optionally)
    Alias dates
    Privacy levels
    Family rectangle positions
    Family rectangle labels
    Notes descriptions

laschapas

Post by laschapas » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have compared the two types of GEDCOM file and looked at the effect when imported into Legacy7. All notes imported into Legacy7 go into one file, I never realised that. It was then that I realised how useful the privacy level feature of individual notes is in Kith&KinPro. I have almost 100 different privacy levels for different types and quality of information in notes. This enables me to easily search for particular information across all people & families. Where would I be without privacy levels?

John Wood

nsimms

List index out of bounds (1243616)

Post by nsimms » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 am

I keep getting the error message "List index out of bounds (1243616)" when I try to export a GEDCOM file from my recently updated Version 3.

This is the first time I have tried to export GEDCOM files with KK Pro.

I previously successfully exported Gedcom files from the old TRE format and imported them into KK Pro.

I tried with smaller files but it made no difference.

After giving the error message, it appear to be working very very slowly, as if it would take several days for even the smallest file, so I assumed some kind of loop had started.

I am using Windows 7 Starter edition

Any thoughts?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:03 am

Hi,

This seems to be a new problem in V3.1.1 We are looking into it.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 am

This was fixed in V3.1.2

Please use "Help | Check for updates" to download the latest version.

nsimms

Post by nsimms » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:11 pm

That seemed to work, Thanks