Error: Cannot open Clipboard

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Roger B

Post by Roger B » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Nick, I'll try again!

When my Tree Draw file is open, I get an error message "Cannot open Clipboard". Whilst this doesn't appear to be impacting the programme operation, it is a pain because it means I have to keep deleting them, sometimes 20-30!

Another query is, why does Tree Draw not plot a second husband to the wife of a family membe? For example, my name is Lubbock and I am charting the family. A male Lubbock predecessor married and had children, after he died his wife married again. Why does Tree Draw not plot the second husband and their children, even though their details are all in the Legacy database?

Look frward to hearing from you.

Roger

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi,

What operation are you trying to carry out when you get the clipboard error? Or does it just appear at random?

What type of tree are you importing - descendant or ancestral? Ancestral trees will not show multiple marriages.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:37 am

Nick Hunter wrote:(snip)
What type of tree are you importing - descendant or ancestral? Ancestral trees will not show multiple marriages.
I think that, also, with a descendant tree, multiple marriages of descendants will be shown but not multiple marriages of their spouses.

The second wife of "male Lubbock predecessor" will be shown but, as she is not a descendant of the source person of the chart, her earlier/later marriages (and any children of those marriages) will not be shown.

It's simple enough, though, to add & merge in a descendant chart with the second wife as source.

Graham

Roger B

Post by Roger B » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 am

Nick, Graham,

Thank you both for your responses.

I think the error message might be related to the 'auto save' function. It doesn't happen whillst I'm using the computer but seem to appear if I leave it idle for some time. They appear on the desk top behind the Tree Draw screen. I'll try to define it a bit better.

Graham, do mean that you can merge two lots of descendants electronically or by physically drawing them in on the chart?

Cheers,

Roger

Graham Hadfield

Re: Error: Cannot open Clipboard

Post by Graham Hadfield » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 am

Roger B wrote:Graham, do mean that you can merge two lots of descendants electronically or by physically drawing them in on the chart?
Having created the main descendant chart I normally group all elements and move the information to leave space in the top area where charts are brought in.

I then create the second descendant chart, group its elements and move it to enable the main chart to be moved back (purely for ease of viewing & processing). Then it is simply a matter of matching elements of the two charts based on the person(s) appearing in both, deleting duplicates as necessary, and moving elements appropriately.

The method works with any combination of ancestor and descendant charts and produces (IMHO) by far the best result for All In One charts or composite charts containing (say) all descendants of all known ancestors.

Graham

Roger B

Post by Roger B » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Excellent Graham, thank you very much, too easy.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger B

Post by Roger B » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Nick, I'm pretty sure that it is something to do with the auto save, I left it overnight and had 13 error messages, roughly equating to the 12 hours that the computer had been on. I'll keep on it but if you have any good ideas, please advise.

Cheers,

Roger

Graham Hadfield

Re: Error: Cannot open Clipboard

Post by Graham Hadfield » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Roger B wrote:Excellent Graham, thank you very much, too easy.

Cheers,

Roger
Very pleased to be of help Roger.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 am

Hi,

Since TreeDraw does not have an auto-save I can only assume that the clipboard error is being caused by something else running on your machine. As you say, it looks like something which updates every hour. Anti-virus maybe?

SundayForever

Post by SundayForever » Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 am

I think the error message might be related to the 'auto save' function. It doesn't happen whillst I'm using the computer but seem to appear if I leave it idle for some time. They appear on the desk top behind the Tree Draw screen. I'll try to define it a bit better.

loosi007

Post by loosi007 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Excellent Graham, thank you very much, too easy.