Unable to get anywhere so far

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Tim W

Unable to get anywhere so far

Post by Tim W » Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I am trying to access and update some work I did ten years ago in K&K 3.12. The whole lengthy business of finding my old K&K files were useless, finding an old laptop and an old copy of Win 98 and an uncorrupted floppy of K&K to export Gedcom files is another story - I have a Gedcom generated in K&K 3.12.

First off I can run K&K 3 Pro, open a New Clean database, give it a name, import my Gedcom, no errors, view the data and save. So far so good.

Next time i run K&K I can't open the database. It doesn't open automatically and when I try to select it to open the 'open' button is greyed out. Frustrating. I start again with a new database, do the gedcom import and can't complete it. Can't remember exactly how but I think it appeared to import alright then gave me an error message.

Never mind, I can start again. I uninstall the program, clear the data directory, rename the old download, reboot, redownload, reregister, restart the program which stumbles over not finding my last database but go on to New Clean Database, new name, the gedcom import, fine, I get the Import Complete message, 0 errors, click OK then I have:

Access violation at address 006E071D in module KithKinP.exe Read of address 0000000C

Click okay and I the program remains open but with the blank database. Where do I go from here?

Thanks in frustration,

Tim w

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun May 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with K&KPro.
The problem may be in your GEDCOM file.
Please email your GEDCOM file to Support@spansoft.org so that we can investigate.

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Sun May 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for the rapid and out-of hours response. Will email you the file next.

Tim w

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Mon May 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks for your help by email. All problems resolved now.

It would seem likely that for some reason my last database had opened but with the zoom out and the tree off the screen somewhere. The button was greyed out because it was already open. Subsequent grief with a mysterious 'access violation' error has not repeated iteslf so it would seem I am up and running.

Tim W