Saving problems

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Elizabeth Hatchell

Saving problems

Post by Elizabeth Hatchell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:57 pm

I have, after a gap of many months started using TreeDraw Legacy again. I am in the middle of a large complicated chart which I want to save before losing anything but I am unable to save it. Every time I get the message: Make space on your disk or save to a different disk/folder. I am unable to save to a different folder, so please advise urgently! I daren't turn off the computer until I have saved the chart.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:25 am

That appears to be a system message rather than application specific, generated because there is not enough space on the disk drive which is the target of the save.

If there is no other hard drive available then you could try saving to a USB memory stick (depending on how large the chart file is). The file could then be transferred to the hard drive later, after sufficient space has been made available.

Graham

Elizabeth Hatchell

Saving problems

Post by Elizabeth Hatchell » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 am

Well, I did try to save to my spare 4GB hard drive which I use as a backup but had the same message.

Unfortunately I lost the chart in the end so will have to start again but I do have a pdf copy of the unfinished product as I can save as pdf without any problems.

No the chart isn't very large - just about 2 dozen people - but I was constructing it from both ancestor and descendant imports to make an extended hour glass chart. I'll try again from scratch and see what happens, unless you have any further thoughts.
:?

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:27 am

Very strange and the only cause I can think of, other than genuine lack of space, is some sort of system glitch.

I create composite charts all the time and have never had that problem.

If it does happen again - hope it doesn't - you might try selecting all elements, copying, then create a new chart and paste. That might clear a glitch.

Graham

Elizabeth Hatchell

Saving problems

Post by Elizabeth Hatchell » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 pm

That's an idea I hadn't thought of and will try it if it happens again. With this weather and a fairly quiet Christmas this year, I hope to have time to do some charts.

Thanks. :)

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi,

This is actually an error message generated by TreeDraw when an error occurs during a file save. The first part of the message will give you the real reason why the file could not be saved ("The current chart could not be saved as xxxx for the reason given above"). The most common causes are lack of disk space or insufficient permission to access a drive/folder.

Elizabeth Hatchell

Saving problems

Post by Elizabeth Hatchell » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Thankfully this didn't happen in my next attempt but I think the problem may have been because another program (Thunderbird) had jammed on closing and I should have restarted to sort that out before embarking on the chart.

tillywhim57

Re: Saving problems

Post by tillywhim57 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Nick

I'm trying to save a modest sized chart, and am getting this problem. My drive seems to have space, but in your reply you mention "insufficient permission to access a drive/folder". What does this mean?, and what can be done to fix it?.

tillywhim57

Nick Hunter

Re: Saving problems

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 am

Hi,

If you are logged in to your computer as a non-admin user then you, or any programs you run, may not have access to certain files or folders.

The easy way to overcome this is just to run each program as if you were an administrator. Right-click on the the TreeDraw icon and choose "Run as administrator".