Deleting Databases correctly and Replacing New with Old Name

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Deleting Databases correctly and Replacing New with Old Name

Post by Rodney Fry » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Good evening Nick,
I am slightly worried about the following copied from the Help file

"Select the database which you wish to delete. This will result in the entire contents of the database folder and any sub-folders being deleted - even files which are not part of the database.

You cannot delete the current database.
"

I have a main database ThoFRY and a number of subset databases, one with the name FryFook2. I have updated the data in ThoFRY and now want to replace FryFook2. I can only generate a new subset with a different name, which is fine. I now want to replace the old FryFook2 by the new one, FryFook2new. The Help description implies that I will lose files not part of the database, but doesn't say what they are?

Is it safe to use File\Database\Delete highlight FryFook2 for deletion without causing damage?

I want to then go back through File\Database\Delete and change the name back to the one deleted so that the link to the relevant TreeDraw file is still functional.

Thanks for advice

Rodney

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:22 am

Hi,

The warning is just there in case you have added any non-standard files to your database folder (ie. outside of K&KPro). This normally doesn't happen so deleting the database should be fine.