Partners vs Spouse

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

walrus

Partners vs Spouse

Post by walrus » Tue May 10, 2011 12:28 am

How do others go about entering partners into a "marriage" especially when there may be more than one partner (over time) and children with each partner.
Your thoughts appreciated

Kevin Leech

Post by Kevin Leech » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:32 pm

I think you need to consider each union that produces a child/children as a family and create a Family Record. Unfortunately, Kith&Kin assumes this to be a marriage! You may need to create multiple 'Marriages' if a parent has had children with different partners.

Nick,

I have struggled with this as well. Would it be possible to have a 'normally ticked' tick box adjacent to the marriage field on the Family Record entry sheet, that could be 'unticked' where a couple are known not to have married. Perhaps this could be linked to the output sheets to print 'Unmarrried' under the couples names.

Do other people have this problem?

Regards,
Kevin

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi,

It's certainly a possiblity - or the tick box could be "Unmarried".

We could maybe distinguish marriages and unions by using "m." and "=". We will have to look at the implications for reporting and TreeDraw.

Kevin Leech

Post by Kevin Leech » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi Nick,

Yes, an 'Unmarried' tick box would be good.

Thanks for considering to look at the implications for reporting and TreeDraw.

I think being able to distinguish between marriages and unions would certainly bring worthwhile benefits to many users of Kith&Kin Pro.

Kevin

donne

Post by donne » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am

I type 'Not married' into the field for recording the marriage place and leave the marriage date field empty which I find works well enough if this is the exception rather than the rule.

davep

Post by davep » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Kevin Leech wrote:I have struggled with this as well. Would it be possible to have a 'normally ticked' tick box adjacent to the marriage field on the Family Record entry sheet, that could be 'unticked' where a couple are known not to have married. Perhaps this could be linked to the output sheets to print 'Unmarrried' under the couples names.

Do other people have this problem?
Yes! At present entering illegitimate children where the father is known requires the creation of a spurious 'marriage'.

One problem I can foresee with any solution is that GEDCOM export would not be able to preserve the distinction between married & non-married relationships.

Dave

lib747

Re: Partners vs Spouse

Post by lib747 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Was this problem resolved? I have looked at "Help" but cannot find anything relevant. In my chart I have a spinster who was put in the family way by a married man but she was married off before the birth of the child. This child, my grandfather, then had a different surname to his biological father. My chart indicates a marriage that did not take place.