User Defined Fields

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Peter Rawbone

User Defined Fields

Post by Peter Rawbone » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:35 am

Good morning,

Not a huge issue but upon looking at my User Defined Fields saw that some of them are not in 'date order' eg: "Census 1841", "Census 1891", "Census 1851" etc.

Is it possible to sort these fields?

Kind regards

Peter

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi,
User-defined fields appear in the order that they have been added to the database. It is not possible to change this order without deleting the fields and losing the data.
However, you should be able to achieve the same effect by exporting the database as a GEDCOM file. Choose "Kith and Kin" as the receiving file system and select the "Non-GEDCOM user fields" option. Then create a new database and set up the user fields in the order you want - ensuring that they have exactly the same names as before. When you import the GEDCOM file back into the new database the user field data should end up back in the correct fields.

Peter Rawbone

Post by Peter Rawbone » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:31 pm

Thank you Nick for your reply.

I suspected that it would not be possible to sort UDF's, which is a pity :)

Any chance of this being incorporated in future releases ?

Happy New Year to all at Spansoft.

Peter Rawbone

User Defined Fields (UDF's) - again

Post by Peter Rawbone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:41 am

Good morning Nick,

Further to our earlier correspondence regarding sorting UDF's, I have tried the following:

1. Made a copy of the original database - under a different name &
2. In the Options menu, amended the UDF's as required i.e. Census 1841, Census 1851 etc. by deleting the 'incorrect' ones and inserting new 'headings'.

However, when I look at a Person Form, the fields have inherited the original order and not those recently inserted.

Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much?

Regards

Peter

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi,

Deleting and reinserting the user-defined fields should work OK. The order that you see them in the user defined fields edit window is the order that they will appear in the person/family form.

Simply renaming the fields will not transfer any data which was in them. For example if you rename an 1861 field to 1841 the 1841 field will still contain the 1861 data.

Peter Rawbone

Post by Peter Rawbone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 am

Good morning Nick,

Many thanks for your reply. I closed the 'new' database, opened it and, no change. I then closed it, reopened it and voila - it worked.

I must say how impressed I am with the programme and the support you provide. It knocks the spots off many competitors!

Regards

Peter