how to sort persons by date of death?

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

allgaeuer

how to sort persons by date of death?

Post by allgaeuer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 pm

I presume (hope) a certain "aunt Deta" I read about in family papers is an alias of someone I already have in my persons. But I know nothing concrete about her other than her date of death. However, I cannot see / sort person lists with / by date of death.

Any suggestions within Kith and Kin Pro V3?

Changing GEDCOM into a flat Excel file could do the trick. There is a German share ware called "gedtool" which purports to do this forwards and backwards. If it does not work properly it could wreak havoc with data. Therefore, my next question: has anyone had experience with this software?

Thanks for suggestions!

donne

Post by donne » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:23 am

Since you know date of death, I suggest "Search", "Person" and then enter the date of death in the appropriate field (or as much of the date as you are certain of) - leave all other fields blank. This won't produce a complete list ordered by date of death as you requested, but I would think that the filtered output would be more useful for you.

jhunt02

Sorting all people by date of death

Post by jhunt02 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:48 am

Another option would be to go to the Search menu, select Search, then select the "SQL Query" tab; then enter the following query into the large SQL query field:

select people.[Death date], people.[Description] from people order by [Death date]

When you press the Search button, you should get everyone in your database sorted by date of death.