Upgrade to 3.1.0

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

laschapas

Upgrade to 3.1.0

Post by laschapas » Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Nick,

I like the Background Layer feature that is now available in 3.1. I found all the families that I have not moved to a named layer. I have also tried the Backup and Restore of the database. With a large database and lots of pictures the backup produced a ZIP file of 221Mb in ten minutes, the restore took 15 minutes to produce a good database.

Playing with the list of new features I came across something I don't fully understand, and it is not covered in the help file. The two features I have found are when I right-click the Edit Source Document from a source link in an Edit Person window. What are "Right to left Reading order" & "Open IME" I can see what the first feature does, but it is a permanent change in the Edit Source Document window, but it is only a temporary change in the Notes title window.

I hope you can reproduce the features from my notes.

John Wood

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi,

Glad you like the update.

I think you may have some extra Windows features installed. These are not part of K&KPro. Please refer to:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6 ... fault.mspx

IME might be useful if you were using Japanese characters for instance, but I don't think that the DBISAM engine would support them since it cannot handle Unicode.

laschapas

Post by laschapas » Fri May 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I don't have any extra language keyboards installed but I notice that I can get the same options under "encoding" when I right-click in Windows Explorer. I have not yet discovered how to uninstall IME.

John Wood