importing gedco..lower case surnames

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

importing gedco..lower case surnames

Post by Richard Johnston » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

Hi
I recently imported a fairly big gedcom to my tree. I have had other imported gedcoms have their surnames in lowercase, which isn't an issue, but Ive noticed that while searching for a person in the edit area, it is separating the upper and lower case surnames into separate alphabetical areas...

so JOHNSTON a-z is then followed by johnston a-z

any way to make them all uppercase, or integrate the upper and lower case surnames to make searching more applicable...

thanks

Richard

Richard Johnston

importing gedcom..lower case surnames

Post by Richard Johnston » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi,

actually, its a bit worse than I thought

now I'm noticing that all the lower case "K" surnames are following all the upper case "K" surnames .

when I search, for example for the name "Kaye" , the search only goes to the "KAYE" surnames displayed all in upper case "KAYE"

I then have to scroll down through all the upper case "K" surnames to get to the "K" lower case names..."Kaye"
...help!

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 pm

The best idea would be to start again and this time use the GEDCOM import option "Uppercase surnames" to force all the surnames to uppercase.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Nick,

Do you mean to import the whole tree again as a gedcom?. I have the total layout being fairly large...wouldn't I loose all the particular placements of my families on the viewing area....if so, it would take me literally weeks to re-organize to the way it was..

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 am

Hi,

I really only meant import the last GEDCOM file again but now that you mention it, exporting the entire database as a GEDCOM file and importing it back into a new database would solve your problem as long as you have no pictures in the database.

Just make sure that when you export the GEDCOM file you use the following options:

Export all families
Aliases
Sources
Notes
Privacy level - set this above your maximum used level
Receiving system = Kith and Kin Pro

Please note that pictures are not included.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:30 pm

hi

ok..think I fixed it ..with a lot of fear of messing it up in the process.

I exported then imported the entire family gedcom..and all the names are now corrected, and the families are in their proper place.

thanks for the help

Richard