Marriage date option in family rectangles

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

Marriage date option in family rectangles

Post by donne » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 am

I find that the option for the display the marriage date in family rectangles is a useful guide to navigation around a large database. However, I've noticed that nothing is displayed if the marriage date is filled with a text string. That's not surprising, but a problem for me since I use text to represent Old Style/ New Style dates in the period 1st Jan to 24 Mar when there could be ambiguity. For example 7 Feb 1720 (Old Style), I would input as '7 Feb 1720/21. I'm reluctant to give up this method of representation since I've noticed that even some English source documents adopt a New Style date (New Year's Day on 1st Jan) prior to the calendar change in 1752, whereas if there are Scottish ancestors in the database, Scotland introduced New Style dating from 1600. Is there a way I can convert my text field to a date which will display in the family rectangle?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 am

Hi,

The problem is that only the year is displayed in the family rectangle. It is not possible for K&KPro to identify the year if the date is a text "phrase". The date really needs to be a valid date to show up in the family rectangle.