Storing data off C drive

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

Storing data off C drive

Post by donne » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:18 pm

I recently reinvigorated my ageing computer by installing a SSD as the C drive. I have quite a lot of images and objects linked to my KKPro database but I would like to store them on one of hard discs in my machine and save the C drive for program data as much as possible. Is there a way I can safely do this? I have been reading other threads about timeline files from which it would appear that data has to be stored on the C drive.

Nick Hunter

Re: Storing data off C drive

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:57 am

You can store your database folders on any drive but the C:\KKPro3Data folder, including the contents created there by Kith and Kin Pro during installation, must remain.

Just create a new folder on your second drive to store your database folder(s) in, this will be your Database Root Folder when you use "File | Database | Open" in Kith and Kin Pro.

donne

Post by donne » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for that, Nick. I have been archiving the KKPro Data folder from time to time to provide a backup. If I have the two storage locations, do I have to archive them both to provide full recovery of previous work?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:10 am

If you edit the Timeline then, yes, you will have to backup both folders. Otherwise, just backup your database folder.