Reinstalled, can't open files

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

plectrudis

Reinstalled, can't open files

Post by plectrudis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 am

My computer recently crashed, and after I got it fixed, I reinstalled all of my Treedraw files from my backup server (Carbonite). Then I reinstalled Treedraw. However, the application can't open any of my reinstalled files. I have some 10 or 15 versions of my tree, and I can't successfully open any of them.

I just get a popup that says, "Warning! Could not open file."

I've put months into this thing--is there anything I can do? I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalled Treedraw--that didn't make any difference.

Side note: the previous incarnation of my laptop used Windows 7[?], while the fixed version has Windows 10. Does Treedraw work with Windows 10?

Nick Hunter

Re: Reinstalled, can't open files

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 am

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

Please make sure that you have registered the software by entering your serial number and key in "Help | Register".

If you still cannot open your TreeDraw chart files, please email one of them to us and we will try to figure out what the problem is.

Nick Hunter

Re: Reinstalled, can't open files

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 am

Hi,

Thank you for sending us your chart file.

We have completed testing your TreeDraw chart file on 3 different computers under 3 different versions of Windows and can find no problems with the file. This suggests that there is some difference with the way your file is being accessed on your own computer. It may be a Windows permissions issue and the easy way to test that is to right-click on the TreeDraw icon and choose "Run as administrator". This will give TreeDraw sufficient rights to access all files. The other possibility is that some other software or system setting is preventing access to the file.

Hope this helps.