Loss of Drive with treedraw.exe in Old files

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Loss of Drive with treedraw.exe in Old files

Post by Rodney Fry » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:18 pm

[Desktop Win 7 Pro 64-bit with KKP v324 & TD v442]

I have a problem with opening some of my older TreeDraw files in my main desktop Win 7 Pro PC. All my files were originally run on my old RAID desktop with Win XP, but now I have a Win 7 Pro purchased in Dec 21014 with the data files on D:/. The RAID disks were entitled G:/ and this path to G:/ is somehow embedded in the files that won't open.

Opening TD and then clicking on a TD file a blank TD screen appears plus a message that tells me "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Drive\Harddisk3\DR3." with the buttons Cancel, Try Again and Continue.

Opening Task manager to shut the application down it lists
Treedraw - (Untitled) (Not responding) Not Responding
Treedraw.exe - No Disk No Disk

Clicking on the two items and on End Task I can shut TD down after the dialogue window "TreeDraw is Not Responding" opens and I click on "Close the Program".

Is there any way I can circumvent this error, Nick? It occurred I think as both my RAID discs failed and I hadn't noticed the first one and then when the second failed the system only showed my C: drive - fortunately I had backed up important data files, but there is still something wrong with about 6 files dated between April 2004 and Nov 2016. I don't understand why some files are OK and that some TD files I must have opened after Dec 2104 without problems in the new Win 7 PC. I have right clicked on some of the files and looked at the Properties and they all show TreeDraw.exe as the program, but no path.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ! I can regenerate them from the KKP data bases, but this is a little tedious.

Rodney Fry

Nick Hunter

Re: Loss of Drive with treedraw.exe in Old files

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

Please email one of the problem TreeDraw .TDR chart files to support@spansoft.org and we will look into it.

Rodney Fry

Re: Loss of Drive with treedraw.exe in Old files

Post by Rodney Fry » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello Nick,

Many thanks for a fast response and for the offer.
It seems that it is my fault - I thought I would check the files on my laptop running Win 8 Pro 64-bit and most of those opened, before copying one to you. I noticed that the version on the laptop was a version behind 4.1.1. not 4.2.2, so I then went to Help and found the Check for Updates was greyed out. This puzzled me so I wondered if the program had been registered. I completed the form and then did the same on the desktop.
Subsequently I found that the TDR files on the laptop appeared to open although the copies on the desktop hadn't yesterday ?! Transferring to the desktop I then found all my TDR files opened, although in a number of instances the Linked Database warning window told me the KKP files on H:/ or G:/ could not be found; this was corrected for the new D:/ drive.

I had looked with Notepad in a couple of the TDR files but could see no code line that referred to G: drive, so why the warning came up up is puzzling.

Alls well that ends well and is a warning to make sure the registration is up to date!

Rodney