Treedraw now unusable

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

tedmills

Treedraw now unusable

Post by tedmills » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I've been using TreeDraw for years and have been very happy. Now i am unable to generate trees from GEDCOM files generated by Legacy V5. I'm using standard TreeDraw, not the Legacy Version. This problem occurs even with GEDCOM files which I have used previously to generate charts. When I import even a small file I get thousands of errors, mostly to do with dates. The resulting chart has gibberish dates and misses out most of the other information as well. Please help.

Update 31st Jan

Been back to basics. Tried using your test GEDCOM file and got the same results, although with no errors in the imported file. Still had corrupted date information. Have now installed TD on my wife's laptop, with no previous history of TD and everything works perfectly with my GEDCOM files.

Uninstalled TD (3.2.3) again, cleared everything to do with TD that I could find, cleaned my registry and again installed TD. Same problems again. There is obviously something on my system which is causing this and I'm wondering if there is a legacy product/software from previous versions of TD which is causing this. Any ideas, please?[/b]

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw. What sort of errors are reported in the log file after you import a GEDCOM file? (particularly those relating to dates)

tedmills

Post by tedmills » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Nick,
Thanks for your response. When I use your test GEDCOM file I get no errors at all, but still get the corrupted dates. It has to be something on my system which is causing it and seems to have happened since I moved to the newer versions. That's why I was wondering if it's a hangover from previous versions of TD that I haven't removed when I took out the old TD.

Ted

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi,
It is most likely caused by corruption in the TreeDraw options file. Please close down TreeDraw and delete the file "C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\TreeDraw\TreeDraw.ini". The path name may vary under different versions of Windows but a file search for TreeDraw.ini will find it.

tedmills

Post by tedmills » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Nick,
You've cracked it!. Deleted the file and now all works again. Thanks for your help.

Ted