Windows Vista drops Windows Help support

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Nick Hunter

Windows Vista drops Windows Help support

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:12 pm

If you try to open the help file in any of our programs running under Windows Vista (and possibly "Longhorn") you will get the following error message:
"The help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in Windows Vista."

To get the help system to work you need to download the WinHlp32.exe program from the Microsoft Web site, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607
Quite why Microsoft have omitted the help system from Vista is unclear. If you have any queries regarding this issue please contact Microsoft.
Subsequent releases of our software will use a different help engine.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 am

Having just bought a new Vista laptop I followed the link to the MS web site where I found a message "The download for Windows Help is still in development and will be available in early 2007."

I've complained to Microsoft that it is now early 2007. IMHO this is pig ignorance on the part of Microsoft. I can understand the requirement for future versions of programs to use newer methods but that is of no help at all to people using the millions of copies of legacy software.

It is also unfair of Microsoft to act in a manner which means any flak is initially directed at people like Nick and not Microsoft themselves.

Graham

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:19 am

I've just looked at the Microsoft web site again and see that they have now made the download available.

From the tone of their message, though, it appears that they have done so reluctantly and still have their pet lip out :)

Graham

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:08 pm

I just downloaded the patch and it works fine.

Graham

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu May 10, 2007 2:25 pm

The old WinHelp engine is now no longer required for the following products:

Kith and Kin Pro from V2.1.0
TreeDraw Standard from V3.1.0
TreeDraw Legacy Edition from V3.1.0
Kith and Kin Birthday Alert from V1.1.0

which have all been updated to use HTML help.