Page Margins

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

oldmill

Page Margins

Post by oldmill » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:37 pm

The following is the error message, after setting all page margins at .75", with landscape/legal size paper 8.5x14":

Right margin is less than the non-printing area of the paper (3.59 In).
Footer is outside of the bottom non-printing area of the paper (0.13 In) and the bottom margin (0.60 In).
Continue?

The warning(s) above have been generated by your selected printer driver and may mean that you have to change the page setup options in TreeDraw. In a very few cases printer drivers do not report back the correct information and these warnings may be ignored.

You may want to change some of the settings in the page setup dialog depending on what warnings are given above. For example, if a margin is set too small then increase the appropriate margin.
Or you can try printing with the settings as they stand - the results may be unpredictable.

All pages will have a 35/8" margin on right hand side only.

Standard size paper works fine.

Using XP/TreeDraw3/HP Deskjet 5440

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:07 am

Clearly this warning message is not valid since no printer will have a non-printable margin of 3.95in.

oldmill

Page Margins

Post by oldmill » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Your response of: "Clearly this warning message is not valid since no printer will have a non-printable margin of 3.95in", is a mute point.

The problelm is that Tree Draw will not print in that 35/8 area on the right margin, as I described in last post on 8.5x14 paper in landscape.

I tested Microsoft Office using the same Page Setup and it will print to the page margins using 8.5x14"/Landscape.

If MS Office will work and Tree Draw does not, I draw the conclusion that the problem seems to in Tree Draw.

I prefer to use legal size paper for large presentations as I have done with older versions of Tree draw.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:26 pm

Sorry, I couldn't find any previous post from you about this - which is why I was confused about this post.

TreeDraw from V3 onwards disregards any settings sent to it from the printer driver so messages like the one you are getting are merely warnings. TreeDraw will send the entire page to the printer anyway. If the printer is not printing all of the page then something in the printer setup is causing the problem; for example the paper source.

oldmill

Page Margins

Post by oldmill » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:06 pm

But when I set the Tree Draw Print set up exactly the same as the printer properties it works fine in MS Office, but not in Tree Draw? Thats what I have been unable to correct.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:48 am

You could try exporting the chart to a PDF file and then printing it from Acrobat Reader - that might work better with your printer.

oldmill

Page Margins

Post by oldmill » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:59 am

I have contacted HP Tech support re my HP Deskjet 5440 printer which is one of the newer ones. After trying several things and testing another driver they are concluding the problem is with the your software. The printer will print (using legal/landscape) normally using MS Office and will function normally converting a Tree Draw file to a PDF and then printing.

In any event I have given up trying to use legal size as it is simply using too much paper and time.

Regards,
Garth McGill