Tree layout print

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

sargeant

Tree layout print

Post by sargeant » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:39 am

I wish to print a copy of the complete Kith 'n Kin tree layout. However, no matter what I try I am unable to get the text within the families to fit. How can I increase the size of the boxes to allow for the complete names to be printed?

Alternatively, is there any way to print the complete tree in Tree Draw, rather than just a specific ancestral or descendants tree ?

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:59 am

The "Tree Layout" report in K&KPro uses the sizes and positions of the family rectangles as they appear on the screen and you cannot change these directly.

However, you can make the boxes print bigger by changing the "Pages wide by page tall" settings. Printing the report over more pages will make the boxes bigger.

You may also want to reduce the font size for the report in "Fonts | Tree Layout: Text" and reduce the amount of data to be printed in each box.

TreeDraw will only import decsendant or ancestral trees but you can import more than one tree into a chart which will give you the chance to build up a complete tree. Please see the TreeDraw Forum for details.

bruce_wilson

Tree Layout Print

Post by bruce_wilson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Slightly different, but related, question...

How can I export the Tree Layout to a file (eg PDF) so I can take it to a large (A1,A0) format printer - I have a tree with 850 families and I don't want to tape dozens of A4 pages together.

The Tree Layout format is very useful as it automatically includes and displays ancestors of females in the tree (eg wife's family) otherwise I'd have to drag my tree into Treedraw and paste my wife's tree in separately.

It would be nice to be able to export the Tree Layout to PDF, just as we can currently do in Treedraw with Ancestral and Descendant trees

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:42 pm

Unfortunately PDF export is not available from K&KPro at present.

There are several third-party PDF printer drivers available which allow you to "print" into a PDF file, simply by selecting the PDF "printer" from the list of available printers in "Printer setup" in K&KPro.

bruce_wilson

Tree Layout Print

Post by bruce_wilson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks for the advice, Nick.

I found a perfectly satisfactory PDF driver at www.freeware995.com

Rodney Fry

Tree layout in KKP v213 -- Print Quality Changing font size

Post by Rodney Fry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Richard,
I noticed with interest the comment that you had a problem in fitting the text into the family boxes.

This is related to the problem I had with the new version of KKP. I found also that the lines connecting the boxes were thinner and poorly defined compared to those with the earlier version of KK - with KKP ver 2.02 the text, boxes and lines were all OK and printed well. In this case my KKP tree layout (landscape, one page of A4) had 52 family boxes with the font Arial and, I think, 5pt selected. The children icons were all clearly visible. NB: In the Report Control dialogue window clicking on fonts, although the minimum is apparently 8pt, you can insert your own value in the window.

As Nick has suggested one can increase the layout to fit over 2 x A4 sheets which allows the larger font size to fit in the family boxes, but chose 4 or 5pt and see if that works.

For some reason with ver3.x the quality of the print is not the same as before with regard to the lines and icons, they are much paler and less well defined. I am not sure why this is. I use an HP870CXi and installed the latest driver some years back, which then caused a problem with the latest TD. Following advice from HP I installed the drivers for 880 and 550 inkjets (both OK with the 870, the 550 driver is generic) which cured the TD problem, although I am using the last updated driver for the 870 in KKP. Perhaps this is the cause of the weaker printing!

Rodney Fry