Searching with aliases

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

Searching with aliases

Post by donne » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Early records often have great variability in spelling surnames. I have recorded these variants as aliases in the person record. However, when searching, I only seem to have the option to search for one particular surname. Is there a way to search the KKPro database for surnames and all associated aliases/ variants?

Regards: Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:58 am

The following type of SQL in the Query Window will let you search on both the Aliases and People table together.

SELECT People.'Description'
FROM People, Aliases
WHERE (Aliases.'PersonCode' = People.'Code') AND
( (Aliases.'Surname' = 'HUNTER') OR (People.'Surname' = 'HUNTER') )

The bottom line is where you would change the surname you're looking for.

donne

Post by donne » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 am

Thank you. I can see that this would do the job. Presumably I would extend this to multiple aliases by adding them as:
(Aliases.'Surname' = 'HUNTER1') OR (Aliases.'Surname' = 'HUNTER2') etc
and the same for variants in the surname field.

My problem is a surname which is appears in the records as DONNE to DUN with all variants in between!

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:19 am

That's right. You can add as many "OR (Aliases.'Surname' = 'blah')" as you like.

donne

Post by donne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:52 am

I did some further research on the web and found some SQL tutorials and discovered the LIKE command which seems to do more or less what I want.

Thus, WHERE (People.'Surname' LIKE D_N%) finds all surnames from DONNE to DUN. However, it also finds a lot uf unrelated surnames.

What I really need is some sort of SOUNDEX capability. I found the rules for SOUNDEX encoding on the web as well as some on-line SOUNDEX converters. Do you have any tips for including a SOUNDEX surname representation into the People table? I notice that some SQL implementations include a SOUNDEX function but as far as I know this is not a capability supported by KKPro.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:07 am

Kith and Kin Pro V3 will include a phonetic feature, using both Soundex and the much better Metaphone.