source references - problem accessing

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

source references - problem accessing

Post by Richard Johnston » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:41 am

Nick,

I've been trying to add a new reference for a burial to an individual in K&K, but after I add the reference, K&K doesn't allow me to see it.

the "previous reference and next reference buttons" are only indicating a "previous reference"...no "next reference" button is "reddened"

when I try to add the reference, the words to the left of the "previous reference and next reference buttons" says "355 of 2 source references for this field" so it appears to know its there, but I can't access it.

When I push the "previous reference" button, nothing happens.

I have gone in and out of K&K to see if it corrects, no change. it still indicates "355 of 2 source references for this field" but I can't get into it.

any idea how to fix or what the issue is?

Richard

laschapas

Post by laschapas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Richard,

I have had this problem. When the number of source references is way too high the database is confused. Try ->File ->Database ->Pack this should correct it.

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:34 am

You're right - it is a database engine problem.

"File | Database | Pack" may fix it or you may also need to use "Start | Programs | Kith and Kin Pro | Borland database fix utility" to rebuild the Sources table. Then use Pack again.

Richard Johnston

references issue

Post by Richard Johnston » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:48 am

Hi again,

I used the database fix utility the packed it...seems to be working now..thank you.

Question: does it cause K&K problems that for the source references I have, I haven't listed a great deal of source documents (many are email correspondence) or document repositories (I think I would be listing the person's house)...are they required to help K&K keep the source references straight?

R.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 am

No, that's OK. You could have all the source references without any documents or repositories if you wish.