Date display

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Bill Corser

Date display

Post by Bill Corser » Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm

I noticed last night a discrepency in dates between the family box and the individual details. I placed the cursor over the particular family and right-clicked - a date of birth for the husband and date of marriage were displayed. When I went to the individual details the dob and marrage date were different - within a week or ten days, but different. Where does the family box get its dates from if not the individual details? Has there been some date conversion - the year in question was 1725 - to bring Julian and Gregorian calendars into line?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed May 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi,

The dates in the family summary box are taken directly from the person/family data. Each date in K&KPro is stored internally as both a Julian day and as a readable description of the date based on the output date format in Preferences.

The first thing to try is "Tool | Update descriptions | Dates". That may bring everything back into line.

Bill Corser

Dates

Post by Bill Corser » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for the rapid response - I'll try the Update Descriptions|Dates .

Best wishes
Bill

Bill Corser

Date display

Post by Bill Corser » Thu May 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi Nick,

Using the Tools|Update Descriptions|Dates corrects the problem, but I'm puzzled as to why it happened. The trees where it occurs - I've found 3 so far -are long-standing - could it have been the transfer from KK3 to KK Pro that changed the dates? The date in the family summary box is the correct one, the Person/family data is the one changed by, typically, 10 days. As an example, I had one individual baptism 6 Oct 1685 in the family summary box and 26 Sep 1685 in the person details. Weird or what?

I take it I need to go through the Update Descriptions for each tree to be sure - it isn't a global correction? I have 50 trees so I could be some time!

Best wishes
Bill

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu May 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Certainly there was no provision for the Julian to Gregorian calendar change until K&KPro V2 so it's possible that something went wrong during one of the conversion processes. There was a bug affecting converting descriptions in V2.01.

Unfortunately there is no quick way of updating the descriptions in all the databases at once.

Bill Corser

Date display

Post by Bill Corser » Thu May 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi Nick,

Further to my last posting - I checked out the largest tree I have - 800+ families - and the date error was present. However, when I went through the Update Details sequence it changed the correct dates in the family summary to the incorrect ones from the Person/Family data! This isn't what happened when I did the update for the previous trees, when it changed the incorrect ones to the correct date. I shall be a bit more cautious before doing this again. Would the Update sequence take the date from the last display opened before applying it?

I backed up all the Data files last month - is it sufficient just to overwrite the latest Data file for this tree with the backed-up version?

Some trees are not affected by this problem, but I can't see any reason why it should change some but not all.

Best wishes

Bill

Bill Corser

Date Display

Post by Bill Corser » Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 am

Hi Nick,

I replaced the data file for the 800+ families tree with the back-up version, and the discrepancy in date displayed in the family box and Person/family data is still there - but further analysis shows that not all dates have this error! I have been checking other trees for date discrepancy by random sampling, but now it looks as though I'll have to check every date in every tree to be sure that I've caught them all.

Best wishes
Bill

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon May 14, 2007 4:50 pm

"Update descriptions | Dates" takes the dates stored in each person or family's date fields and changes the descriptive part of the date using the settings in "Options | Preferences | Dates". It does not change the date displayed in the person or family date fields.

It does not change the description of each person or family (if they contain dates). To do that, use "Update descriptions | People" and then "Update descriptions | Families" after updating the date descriptions.

Bill Corser

Updating Dates

Post by Bill Corser » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:22 pm

I have finished correcting the dates that were altered by V2 in my collection of trees - 21 trees involved, so I had to check each pre-1752 birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial date against the source to be sure that I had the correct date. Very time-consuming, but I was able to correct the odd data entry error too!

The effects of the changes wrought by V2 on pre-1752 dates included:

Knock the date back by 10 or 11 days if in the form dd mmm yyyy - I couldn't work out why some were 10 and some 11, nothing to do with Leap Years.
If the date was only mmm yyyy knock the month back by 1.
If the date was only yyyy knock the year back by 1.
The Family box showed the correct date and the Individual Details the changed one.
The fix you offered changed the correct date in the Family box to the changed one.

Anyway, things seem to be back under control now, and I have backed everything up. However, I have still to apply the latest update and I'm worried in case it is cumulative and will change all those dates back again - can you put my mind at rest?

Bill

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 pm

There have been no modifications to the date format in V2.1.0 so your existing dates will not be changed.

Bill Corser

Post by Bill Corser » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Many thanks for that Nick.

Regards
Bill