GEDCOM

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

hector

GEDCOM

Post by hector » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Could someone please tell me (in words of one syllable) how to export a GEDCOM file.

I've just got a new computer - with my old machine it was so easy - I just popped in a floppy disk and everything worked.

I don't know how to work this new machine - I was given the option of 'where do I want to save the GEDCOM file' - then faced with the list of items in 'My Documents'. Where do I save it and what should I do next please? :?

My usual rescuer in such times of crisis is my granddaughter - but she'll be in bed at this time of night.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

It doesn't really matter where you save the GEDCOM file as long as you know where you saved it so that you can find it later.

I tend to keep files relating to a specific program in the same folder as the program itself, in this case it would be "C:\Program files\Kith and Kin Pro".

If you are planning to send the GEDCOM file to someone else on a floppy or CD then you will find the drives by clicking twice on the "Up one level" button from "My documents".

hector

GEDCOM

Post by hector » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Many thanks for your help - it seems so simple and easy when some-one explains how to do it.
:D