Family Details Report

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

Family Details Report

Post by donne » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:09 pm

I want to make a print a paper record of my database using the Family Details Report. I 'Select All' families and then choose to 'Preview' the Family Details Report. However, it stalls some time into the formatting of the preview with the error message 'Permission Denied FileC:\Program Files\Kith and Kin Pro\Data\Donne\Temp7.YG0'. Starting again it will still with a similar but not identical error message. The same thing happens using 'File'. I haven't yet tried printing directly to paper yet. Can you tell me why 'Preview' doesn't seem to work in this instance?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:13 pm

It seems like an odd error.

Try deleting any files which contain "Temp" in your database folder (ie. "C:\Program Files\Kith and Kin Pro\Data\Donne\") and then open up K&KPro and try the print preview again.

donne

Post by donne » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:39 pm

I looked inside the database folder and I couldn't find any files called 'Temp'. There is a collection of folders which appear to be empty with names such as 'CHUDQETU' plus some files with names like 'Aliases', 'Documents', 'Families', etc, but no 'Temp'. I assume it is some sort of temporary file produced during the processing. There are quite a lot of families in the database, but the 'Preview' process seems to stall after reaching about Family F60 or thereabouts - am I asking it to do too much?

Regards:
Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 pm

The empty sub-folders are also temporary and can be deleted (even if they have contents).

It's possible that the PC is running out of resources but I would be surprised. We can produce a print preview of 300 families, including pictures, without problems.

Do you have sufficient disk space for K&KPro to create the temporary files?

donne

Post by donne » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:55 pm

I have 512 MB RAM and 11.2 GB free disc space, so I wouldn't have thought that I'm running out of resources. By the way, I tried running 'Preview' again. This time it seemed to get much further, up to family F256 but then seemed to stall without any error message. I then had another look at the database folder and did find some files marked 'Temp'. The only other process I can think of which could have some effect is perhaps McAfee VirusScan which I have running all the time of course.

Regards
Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:56 am

Have you tried changing the settings for the report to see if it makes any difference? In particular, try turning off the pictures.

donne

Post by donne » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:38 pm

I turned off 'Pictures' in 'Preview' but that didn't help. However, following on from that I unchecked all the boxes, tried 'Preview' which then worked! Then I added back the settings one at a time. All worked until I got to 'Sources'. I even managed to complete 'Preview' with everything checked except 'Sources'.

I suspect that there is something wrong with my 'Source' database. Should I try repairing it or rebuilding it in some way?

Regards:
Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:31 pm

It's possible that there is corruption in the Source table indices but it's a strange error message - normally you would get errors when you were adding sources.

To rebuild the Source indices please use "File | Database | Pack". If this does not help you may also have to use "Start | Programs | Kith and Kin Pro | Borland database fix utility".

donne

Post by donne » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:56 pm

I tried File|Database|Pack and after that Preview proceeded to a successful conclusion with all boxes (including Sources) checked. Thanks for your help in resolving the problem.

Regards:
Roger Donne