undo button suggestion

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

undo button suggestion

Post by Richard Johnston » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi

made an error today by accidentally deleting a person, wanted to edit them. luckily I had the file save and had to import another version of the gedcom to find the data...

anyways, could an undo button be a possibility on the next version, would have saved me a lot of time for my error.

another possibility is a confirm deletion pop-up for any deletions...that would have prevented my mistake as well

thanks

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:13 pm

There is a confirm delete option in "Options | Preferences | Options | Confirm record deletion".

Because K&KPro is a disk-based database system, it is not possible to undo changes to records.

Richard Johnston

Delete person function

Post by Richard Johnston » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi Nick,

I think we may be talking about 2 different parts of K&K where deletion is possible. I have the confirm deletion checked in my options area, so this isn't the issue. This confirm deletion box does come up when I am deleting a whole family after bringing up the family details box...and asks to confirm deletion of family, parents and children as well.

The deletion area I was referencing is under the edit tab. then delete person tab. Descending, there is an edit person, edit family, then delete person then delete family.

I went accidentally to edit a person here, instead went to delete person and there was no confirm deletion at this point...it just deleted the person I had brought up.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time...am I missing checking off an option here too?

thanks

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:17 am

Sorry - you're right. There is no deletion confirmation required for "Edit | Delete person" because choosing this function opens the person selection list - which then gives you the chance to cancel the deletion. The "Options | Preferences | Options | Confirm record deletion" setting only adds a further confirmation step to operations where there would otherwise be no chance of cancelling the deletion after requesting it.

Richard Johnston

confirm delet pop-up or button in Edit aera

Post by Richard Johnston » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi Nick,

I made this same accidental person instead of edit error today and now I'm back here just wondering if this undo or confirm delete pop up or ..I didn't notice the error till I wbutton could be part of the next upgrade.

I though I hit edit, but went to delete by accident..ent to the family and saw the mother missing....luckily, I found the lost data in a stored gedcom of the tree...nothing lost..I think

In our discussion I wasn't sure if the "confirm delete person " pop up was a possiblility or if it wasn't

this almost drove me squirely until I remembered where to find the data...

R.

rich

Post by rich » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:05 pm

I made this same error - the supposed "Choose person to Edit" box just disappeared when i pressed OK, so i just assumed it'd crashed, or didn't want to edit that person or something. When i realized what'd happened, i remembered that it'd happened before and that i now have no idea - & no way of finding out - who it was that i deleted.

A third option could be a sort of Recycle Bin...

jayrae

Suggestions for next version

Post by jayrae » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:35 am

I had a look at the Edit Person... and Delete Person... and the windows look exactly the same except for the one word difference in the title.

Just a suggestion for the next version of Kith and Kin, either make the Edit and Delete windows visually different or maybe move the Delete options to a different Menu.

Richard Johnston

Undo Button...

Post by Richard Johnston » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:26 am

Nick

did it again.
I was looking up some info on a person to match to a photo and accidentally deleted him instead of picking edit person

we really need the "undo late choice" or a "confirm deletion of person" box to pop up....

any idea if this could be added...asap to avoid it again

luckly I do back up info...

thanks

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:12 am

Unfortunately, because the software works with the data on disk directly, it is not possible to implement an undo.

Record deletion popups are already implemented - please check your setting in "Options | Preferences | Options | Confirm record deletion".

Richard Johnston

Undo Button

Post by Richard Johnston » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Nick,

Ok, got it, it can't be an undo button...but I have the record deletion popups already checked..so they do come up ...but that is a different area of K&K from where I am referencing. I do get a pop up when in the family file/individual file etc. I understand how deletions are avoidable in this mode.

I haven't had an issue with this feature.

The issue lies in trying to find an individual through the edit person area. I have so far always gone to the edit tab, then the edit person and searched under the surname to find people in my fairly large tree.

When I am hurrying (seems quite often) I can easily slip the choice of the highlight area to to the delete person accidentally, and the screen that pops up afterwards (select person to edit vs select person to delete) looks virtually the same in both "edit" as it does in "delete"

I think If the select person to edit and the select person to delete screens looked a little more more distinct, or delete more prominent in the pop up....it might be of assistance to me and others using K&K

If I am I missing another way to search for/locate a person in K&K that avoids this possible issue altogether..I would also appreciate the advice.

thanks

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:05 am

It might be better to get used to using the "Edit person" button from the button bar instead of using the "Edit | Edit person" menu item. This is better because there is no button available for deleting a person and so you would have to go into the Edit menu to delete a person.