Importing a database

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Frank Dunne

Importing a database

Post by Frank Dunne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:00 am

Nick

Have just found a new stream of information and I wish to create a new database for this prior to integrating into my established database. The HELP file tells of many things, namely

• From the File menu select Database and then Merge.
• Click on the Merge database button on the button bar.

Select a database which you want to merge with the current database.

Note that codes (person, family, etc) in the incoming database will not be preserved.

It is possible for field conflicts to arise if user-defined fields have been added to either database. If this happens Of that Ilk Pro will display a list of conflicting fields and give you the option of cancelling the merge operation. et al

After merging databases, it is possible that some records may have been duplicated. You can search and fix these records using the Remove duplicates function.

If the incoming database was created with option settings which do not match your current settings, you may wish to update person, family or date descriptions after merging the databases.

See also:

Selecting / defining a database name
Adding and maintaining user-defined fields
Database fields
Removing duplicate records
Updating descriptions

UNQUOTE

See Bold Red statement in HELP text above -

Understand what it says - can you clarify what actually happens to the F and P numbers of the imported database - ie are they incremented following the highest value in the database into which they are imported?

If no, please tell me what does happen.

Thanks

Frank Dunne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:27 am

You are correct; the P and F codes of the incoming database will be renumbered starting at the next highest available code in the current database.

Frank Dunne

Post by Frank Dunne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:44 am

Nick

Thanks much for the reply - it's nice to know that some intuitive guesses can pay off.

Might I suggest that you consider including the explanation of incrementing person and family codes comment in the help file segment itself - might save confusion and time.

Regards

Frank