Windows 7 - Borders of windows & Cascade open forms

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

laschapas

Windows 7 - Borders of windows & Cascade open forms

Post by laschapas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Nick,

If I maximize any window in Windows 7 the thin border running round the sides and bottom of a window are pushed off the edge of the screen. The same thing happens with Kith&KinPro. Selecting the command [Cascade open forms] aligns the first form so that its border lies outside the border of the Tree Area window. With the Tree Area area set to full screen the first form of [Cascade open forms] is pushed further off the screen. The capital N of the word Name of an Edit Person form is right at the edge of the screen.

I never noticed this with Windows XP. Is this my setting for Windows 7 ? Was it the same on Vista, I went from XP to Windows 7. If I use the new Windows 7 feature to align Kith&KinPro in half the screen the border of the Tree Area is visible. Not a problem but strange all the same.

John Wood
Last edited by laschapas on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laschapas

Post by laschapas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Nick,

More experimenting with the Windows border. The default in Windows 7 would appear to be four pixels. As the [Cascade open forms] pushes the first form out by the width of the border the Edit Person window looses four pixels over the edge of the screen. As the border width can be changed, the amount of the Edit Person window not visible is equal to the border setting. It therefore could be quite high if a user likes to configure a wide border.

Why does the Kith&KinPro [Cascade open forms] place the initial edit window outside the border not inside it?

John Wood

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 am

Hi John,

It's not just a Windows 7 feature - K&KPro does the same in XP and Vista. The problem is that the border width of the main window and the data forms can be different (the data forms normally have a narrower border). When you use "Cascade" the outside edges of the first data form and the main window line up but if the data form border is narrower then its contents will lie in the main window border area.

Thanks for pointing this out - we will tidy it up in the nest release.