Upgraded to v3 - Some thoughts

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

ballarj2

Upgraded to v3 - Some thoughts

Post by ballarj2 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi,

Installed v3 (been running with K&K since it was on floppy!) The only program I've kept with after trying others - I just like the layout and style)

A few obversations -

I'll agree with an earlier post saying that the pick list when selecting 'person or family to edit' always goes back to the first entry is wrong. Version 2 kept you at the same place.

Love the idea of layers, just think it could have been implimented better. The idea I guess is that you only see the layer that you want to work on, it would have been much better if K&K moved to the layer you needed.
I still have to navigate through the screen to find the layer, it should be centered to be useful.

When selecting 'records modified' from the tools menu the headers are not resizable (this was the same in v2). So, if a record was modified on 'Wednesday 28 November 2007' all you see is 'Wednesday 28 November 2' in the list.

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure we will find them useful in a not-too-distant update.

Just one remark about navigating layers. I think you're right that the screen should scroll to the selected layer. In the meantime, select the layer and then hit the "Go to family" button. Since only the families on the current layer are shown, you can select any family and scroll to the layer.

ballarj2

Thoughts

Post by ballarj2 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Nick,

Thanks for the solution about moving to a layer, works fine.

Yoy probably won't remember but I e-mailed you a long time ago about the location of the database. I keep all my data on a separate drive and folder structure I found that I couldn't edit my tree, since then I've kept the data in the same folder as the program (it was a limitation of the Borland runtime used). Has that limitation been eliminated with the SQL runtime you use now?

Cheers,

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat May 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi John,

That's right. You can locate the root database folder wherever you like now. We made the default "C:\KKPro3Data" just to move it outside of the "Program files" hierarchy, which keeps Vista happy.

If you keep a database on removeable media and forget to put it back in before starting K&KPro3, the program will ask you for the location of a valid database.

K&KPro3 also fixes the problem of "Read-only" databases held on CD-ROM and copied back onto the hard drive. The program will automatically remove the read-only flags from the database files.

laschapas

Post by laschapas » Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi Nick,

Following your reply to John I have moved my data files by copying the KKPro3Data folder to another location. I then open K&KPro3 and select my data folder at its new location. I close K&KPro3, and delete the C:\KKPro3Data folder. When I open K&KPro3 I get the error message "Unable to open Timeline tables in C:\KKPro3Data". I OK. this error message and my data opens as normal but I cannot use the Timeline option, I get "Feature unavailable - Timeline tables could not be opened." How do I tell the program that the timeline files have moved? I am on version 3.0.1

John Wood

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon May 25, 2009 11:54 am

Hi John,

The timeline tables cannot be moved; you should return them to C:\KKPro3Data

ballarj2

Folders

Post by ballarj2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm

Nick,

The location of the various folders was one of the things I was going to comment about.
Most programs place their 'configuration' and ancillary 'things' into "Documents and Settings\user_name\prog_name". K&K v3 has folders - C:\KKPro3Data (for timelines and what looks like Db lock files and indexes) and C:\SpanSoft updates (for updates).

Just a little messy to me (an IT professional), sorry.

John

ballarj2

Records modified

Post by ballarj2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Nick,

I've just downloaded the latest update (3.0.2) for which thanks, nice to have updates seamlessly available. Although while I'm on the subject; why does it take me through the entire install proceedure again? Couldn't it just update the 'bits' that have changed?

Anyway, back to the 'records modified' issue.

I see you altered the date field to use the short form (2 Jun 2009) rather than Tuesday 2nd June 2009, OK this solves the problem of the truncated field but my wish was to be able to re-size the whole field! I just happen to like the long form on this screen. Yeah, I suppose I am 'nit-picking'

John