What could TreeDraw be warning me about?

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

LeRoy Ferguson

What could TreeDraw be warning me about?

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

I've just re-purchased TreeDraw and am running into some familiar editing snags.

The program opens every time with "Warning: failed to set data for configuración" -which I don't understand. Then it zips along as if nothing is really wrong: I import a gedcom file from Legacy and open an ancestral tree. The problems begin when I try to set Preferences.

Dates: I'd had no problem with previous trees, but now the data format box is blank; no selections. Anyway, I translate month, weekday and prefixes to Spanish equivalents and move on.

Replace Text: Birth, etc. translated and ticks on both "during import" and "during update".

Edit>Update>OK: No action. Text is unchanged. I close file and return; still no editing changes. Exiting TreeDraw and return doesn't change things either.

Also, color fill-in doesn't respond for me either; although box line colors can be set.

Curiously, these glitches are almost identifical to the ones I had before I re-purchased TreeDraw (thinking that an upgrade would solve all.)

Could that early "Warning" panel be trying to tell me that I am neglecting to do something important?

I have v. 3.1.1 (WIN 22 bit build), with Legacy 6 Deluxe. WinXP/Sp2

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:23 pm

I've never seen this error "Warning: failed to set data for configuration".

It probably indicates either corruption in the temporary TreeDraw database, the database engine or in the program itself.

I suggest that you uninstall TreeDraw, then delete the folder "C:\Program files\Common files\Borland shared\BDE". Ensure that the "C:\Program files\TreeDraw" folder has been removed.

Download TreeDraw again and reinstall. Please check that TreeDraw works normally with the sample files before importing your own data or changing any settings.

Hopefully this will fix the other problems as well.

LeRoy Ferguson

Still struggling

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:11 am

I MUST be doing something wrong.

I've done everything you suggested in your reply and still find myself stymied.

1- Every time I activate TreeDraw I still immediately face the warning which you said you have never seen: "Warning: failed to set data for configuración" I ignore it, not knowing what to do, and proceed. Also, my registration data is always requested; I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that before I only had to register once.

2- Curiously, my old TreeDraw ancestor files are still in place and functioning well in the Data folder of Legacy. That's a relief. The Sample file also works perfectly.

4- But I cannot create new ones. Several times I exported a Legacy family via Gedcom/ANSI (the default on TreeDraw)to Legacy Data; there is no objection, and on opening it within TreeDraw, the index of individuals looks perfect; but then, in shifting to the actual chart, all that appears on screen is a page of connecting rods - no individuals.

I am certain that I am somehow gumming up the works; obviously, if Sample and pre-update files are OK.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Does the error message really say "configuración" and not "configuration"?

Do you have any Spanish-related software on your PC? I'm guessing here but I suspect that some other application or driver is interfering with TreeDraw.

I did a Google search for "failed to set data for configuración" and the only hit was on this forum! This suggests that the problem is specific to your PC.

Maybe someone else has come across this problem.

LeRoy Ferguson

Yes, there might be a language question involved.

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks for that lead. Yes, I have my OS set for Spanish, but that has never caused a single problem with any program or operation, including TreeDraw, until now .

But there is something else. You made me realize that I do fiddle with a Spanish-language BETA version of Legacy 6 that has its own folder on the hard drive; when I open the Legacy program file from within that folder, everything is translated into Spanish.

However, all the English-language family files in the root Legacy folder are running fine.

Naturally, when I activate TreeDraw I select files from the root English-language program. Or at least that's the way it seems to me.

If you think the Beta files could be causing my problems, I'll delete them, then check the results with TreeDraw. I'm waiting for you view because deletion involves wiping out hundreds of manual editing changes of Spanish names and starting over again (which I won't). But hell, I'd rather have TreeDraw back.

There is a Beta forum, but posters and moderators don't seem to have a clue about programming.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 pm

There should be no problems running TreeDraw under Windows set up for Spanish.

The error message you are seeing is not generated by TreeDraw and it seems strange to me that it is part English and part Spanish.

It is likely that the error is causing the rest of your problems in TreeDraw.

Since the error appears when you start up TreeDraw the problem is likely to be with either the TreeDraw options file TreeDraw.INI or with the BDE database engine settings. I don't think that using a Legacy Beta will affect TreeDraw in this way.

Please email a copy of TreeDraw.INI to support@spansoft.org and we will take a look to see if there is anything obvious going on.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Just a follow-up on this topic in case anyone else has the same problem.

It seems that there was a problem with permission settings in the system registry which prevented TreeDraw updating a required entry in the registry.

>> The only thing I could not do was delete "Database Engine" from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland. It was red-flagged, untouchable.

> That's your problem right there then. You need to change the permissions on this registry key until you are able to delete it. I think right-clicking on the key allows you to view permissions. There are often problems with registry permissions when you change or delete users from the system.