Access violation after inserting images

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Barry Smith

Access violation after inserting images

Post by Barry Smith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 am

Hi,

I have been using Treedraw Legacy Edition for a while but only recently decided to try to create a Tree that I intended to print out to show my cousins. All was going well and I had inserted a number of imaged to help illustrate events and places that I wanted to add. I had saved and updated tree a few times without any problem but yesterday when trying to insert an additional image had an error message saying unable to do so and when I closed down another message stating unable to save file. I have tried to open the file expecting this to be the one saved previously but now have the following error. I spent quite a long time arranging the tree so was a bit of a shock. Error message below.

'Access violation at address 006C7D13 in module 'TreeDraw.exe'. Write of address 00000050.'

Nick Hunter

Re: Access violation after inserting images

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:54 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

TreeDraw will not try to save the chart file automatically when you close down the program, you will get the usual "The current TreeDraw chart has been modified. Do you want to save it?" prompt. It is likely that the message you got was TreeDraw being unable to save the options file, which it does save automatically when it closes down.

I suggest that you delete the TreeDraw.ini file which will be in the <Username>\AppData\Roaming\TreeDraw folder. This will reset all the TreeDraw options back to defaults but will give you a clean options file. If you now still get an error when you open the chart file it is likely that there was something wrong with the chart file before you got the original error message inserting an image.

Barry Smith

Post by Barry Smith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks. I have deleted file as suggested. I could not load the old file but I can reload a new one which it would not et me do before. I just hope I do not lose. Is there an upper file size that would cause failure due to a large number of additional images? If So how do I see the file size so I do not exceed this and lose the saved tree.

Regards

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 am

Hi,
There is no size limit imposed by TreeDraw. The only problems you might face is if you exceed the resources available to Windows.