Marriage Order

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

wdgordon

Marriage Order

Post by wdgordon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Hello,

I have been using Treedraw for quite a while, a very useful program.

Recently I have been having issues with the display of marriages.

I have a large tree that I created in MyHeritage Family Tree Builder.

When I change the order of a person's marriages, and then export the resulting gedcom for charting in Treedraw, this does not seem to be reflected in the chart produced from the program i.e. the "original" first spouse is still displayed first, even though I changed the ordering of the spouses in MyHeritage.

I am using the very latest version of MyHeritage (Version 8.0.0 Build 8278, Released June 2016) and Treedraw 4.4.0.

I should add that my original issue was that changing the order of the marriages did not persist in MyHeritage. In other words, one changed the order of marriages, clicked back in to the 'Manage Spouses' dialog later on and found the ordering had reverted to what it was originally. I reported this problem to MyHeritage, and was advised to install the build referenced above.

Once I installed this, the ordering did then seem to persist within the program, but when exported into Treedraw using a GEDCOM the ordering was still the original without the altered ordering in place.

So in short, it may be that this issue is entirely MyHeritage Family Tree Builder based, but I want to check if any such issue has been reported before, or whether perhaps there is a limitation in the GEDCOM standard itself which cannot store ordering of marriages?

Best
William Gordon

Nick Hunter

Re: Marriage Order

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.
TreeDraw will arrange marriages in the order in which they appear in the GEDCOM file, irrespective of marriage dates, etc.
It is easy to check what the GEDCOM file actually contains in a text editor. I suspect that MyHeritage Family Tree Builder may not be changing this order when you change it in MyHeritage.

wdgordon

Post by wdgordon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:28 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your prompt response. I have had a quick look at the gedcom file in a text editor and the spouses do indeed appear to be listed in the same order even after I have changed the order in MyHeritage. I have sent them off another email querying this and will see what they say. Thanks also for the pointer re how Treedraw deals with marriage ordering.

Danansmith

Post by Danansmith » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 am

I like it when folks get together and share ideas. Great site, keep it up!