Attach files other than jpg - wish list request

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

CliveH

Attach files other than jpg - wish list request

Post by CliveH » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 pm

I append census records as jpg files in the 'pictures of sources' on K&K3, as well as images of birth, marriage or death certificates, Parish records etc. This is a really useful option. However I have now subscribed to TheGenealogist and all their census pages and other records are in pdf format. I can of course convert them to jpg but I would prefer to attach them as native pdf files. Similarly it would be useful to attach other files such as Word documents. A viewer would not be needed, just K&K opening the program that Windows associates with the extension. Any chance of adding this to your list of future developments? Many thanks.

Nick Hunter

Re: Attach files other than jpg - wish list request

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi,

You can do this in Kith and Kin Pro by embedding or linking your PDF files (and any other type of file) as an Object. Please see: Working with objects

CliveH

Re: Attach files other than jpg - wish list request

Post by CliveH » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you. I have tried attaching objects now. I had difficulty initially because I tried to attach a secured pdf file which caused invalid format messages. I also had problems with Word files until I discovered I had to link to them. So if I avoid secured pdf files I am all sorted now. Thank you very much for your very prompt response.