Group/Ungroup

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

billygee

Group/Ungroup

Post by billygee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:26 pm

After importing a Gedcom file, how do I seperate a group in order to enter a new eliment ie:- Enter marriage details between birth and death details. Even when ungrouping I still can't seperate the eliments. In an older version of TreeDraw I was able to draw a marquee round a single eliment and move it. Can you please help? :?

Nick Hunter

Re: Group/Ungroup

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Birth and death details will be part of the same, single text element - just on separate lines. You could double-click on the birth/death details to edit the text.

Please see this manual topic for details of how TreeDraw assigns imported data: http://treedraw.spansoft.org/manual/htm ... fields.php

billygee

Post by billygee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Nick.
Perhaps I described my problem poorly. What I want to do is to be able to ungroup and add elements ie: b. bap. mar. d. bur. When I click on the group after ungrouping, it automatically groups again. In the old version of Treedraw I could move elements about as required. Why is it now so complicated???? :evil:

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi,

It shouldn't do that. Nothing has changed with respect to grouping or ungrouping. There may be a problem with your chart file.

We are about to release a program update which fixes similar problems so it may help you.

billygee

Post by billygee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that info. Can you tell me if this update will be automatic, as a 'fix' and that I'll be notified when, or will it be an upgrade of TreeDraw. I ask these questions because I only bought this version a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your help.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am

Hi,
It is an automatic update. You can update manually by using "Help | Check for updates".

billygee

Post by billygee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Nick,

I have now updated the program but sadly it hasn't resolved my problem. I still can't seperate the elements. The birth and death elements are locked together and I want to insert marriage details between them. Even after ungrouping, when I click the mouse they become grouped again (with the black handles at each corner, but the group/ungroup icons on the task bar do not show this) I need to move thing about as a Gedcom import doesn't insert details as I want them.
This is now getting very frustrating, can you PLEASE sort me out?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi,

Black handles at each corner do not indicate a group, they indicate a single element. As I said before, birth and death details are normally part of the same text element - there is no sense in which they can be ungrouped.

Please see this manual topic which explains the colours and shapes of handles: http://treedraw.spansoft.org/manual/html/select.php

billygee

Post by billygee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 pm

With the greatest respect Nick, I must explain why I disagree with you. When I mentioned the black handles they are not around each eliment, they are around all eliments and I can't seperate them. For example, there is no possible reason why the born and death eliments should be permenantly locked together. It is obvious that a marriage comes between them. To prove my point, I have just imported the same Gedcom file into my old version of TreeDraw on my old PC Windows XP and everything works fine, each element can be moved about at will. I only bought the upgrade because the old version was not compatable with my new PC running Windows 7. Sorry if I'm becoming a pain, but surely this can be rectified. I honestly can't see the purpose of locking elements together.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:09 am

Hi,
Very odd. Please email a copy of both the problem chart from V4 and your previous chart from an older version of TreeDraw to support@spansoft.org and we will investigate.

billygee

Post by billygee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Nick,

I have sent you he file as requested. You will see that there is a lot of shuffling about to do as the import shows the spouse details directly below the husband's when in fact, a correctly displayed chart should show the husband and spouse side by side, separated by an = sign, then a line descending down from the = sign to the next generation of siblings. This is the reason that I must be able to move individual elements about, and not locked groups. However, I do have an apology to make. Before sending the file, I double checked it on my earlier version (Win XP) and this time the fault was there when the first time I swear there wasn't a problem. I am dumfounded!!!

I do hope you can resolve my probem whether it be a fault or something I am doing wrong. I am in your very capable hands.

Many thanks.