person re-numbering

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

person re-numbering

Post by Richard Johnston » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Nick,

I went into my main K&K database the other day and discovered my first 800 people had all been renumbered. So myself and my immediate family were all 803, 804 etc,.

The original persons were there as duplicates, but no longer connected to each other

any idea what happened? I guess i could remove all the duplicates, but I did use some of the original numbers as references. I don't recall recopying the database or anything that would cause this..

what other options do I have to restore it?

thanks

Richard J.

Nick Hunter

Re: person re-numbering

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 am

Hi,

It's possible that the database files are corrupt although having duplicate data does not suggest it. Try "File | Database | Repair".

You will probably have to delete the higher-numbered duplicate people manually.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Nick

I tried using the database repair tool. I didn't notice any discernible difference. (maybe it fixed something I didn't see).

regarding your suggestion..You will probably have to delete the higher-numbered duplicate people manually.

Bit of an issue, If I delete the higher numbered versions of my duplicate persons (ones that are connected (associated to families)), I then need to reconnect all of the lower numbered persons to each other too. The new higher numbered versions are all currently interrelated in the existing tree...just the numbering was replaced.

Its looks like a very long process to remove existing, , then reconnect the unconnected preexisting lower numbered duplicated persons.

Also. I thought the older, unconnected duplicate persons would be listed as "people in limbo"..as they aren't part of families... but they aren't listsed there..wouldn't unconnected people be "people in limbo"?

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi,
Seems like a very odd event. Can you please use "Help | Upload data to support" so that we can take a look at your database.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 pm

will do

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm

file has been sent

I was person 9, now 813

thanks

Richard

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Nick,

were you able to make anything out of my family file?

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 am

Hi,

Thank you, we received your database.

At first glance, there are no clues as to what may have happened except that there appear to be multiple attempts to import the data from GEDCOM files. We were hoping to find a way to merge the duplicate records but that looks like being a lengthy process.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks Nick,

keep me posted..I will wait until you have exhausted your side before I start anything radical

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 am

Hi,

We have had a detailed look at your database and tried to come up with the easiest method for fixing the problem. Unfortunately it is still going to be time consuming.

There is no indication of what event caused the duplication of people. It only affects the People table, the Families table does not contain any duplicates. However, the Families table description fields have been updated with the duplicated people codes indicating that the duplication must have happened some time ago.

The original people records (those which have been duplicated) have the person's details (name, birth, etc) but do not have notes or links to familes. The description field for these records have not been updated and so can be used to find the records.

You probably want to make a backup of the database before attempting the following fix.

There are only 801 duplicated people records, approx 7% of the database. You can get a listing of just original records which now have duplicates by using "Search | Search | SQL query" and using the SQL query:
SELECT *
FROM People
WHERE ( People.[Description] IS NULL )

Referring to this list you can use the following method to merge two duplicate records:
Open the duplicate person record and note the "Child of family" code.
Use "Tools | Remove duplicates" and select the person record which you want to keep (the one with the original P code). Click the "Search" button and choose the duplicated record for this person and click the "Delete" button.
Edit the original person record, right-click the "Child of family" box, choose "Identify" and select the family you noted above.

This process will merge all the data from both records and delete the higher-numbered duplicate. Repeat for the other duplicated records.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for your help here Nick

I have corrected a few initial records and it seems to be working fine

I'll work my way thru..its a long winter anyways :wink:

RJ

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Nick

still working thru the numbers, but I noticed another issue.

Some of my older persons were renumbered, and the older numbers re-assigned to other persons. This adds a bit of complication as some of my family photos were labeled with the older p codes for identifying them in the tree. Is there any way to re-assign numbers to particular individuals. I would need to give new numbers to existing people and take their numbers to assign to the older persons in the tree to correct it..without having to correct each labelled picture...quite a mess

thanks

Richard

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 pm

further..
I noticed in the notes for the persons, the reference numbers are the the original person numbers...

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 am

Hi,
Sorry, there is no way to assign P codes or F codes.
The "Ref numbers" you can see in people's notes have been generated when the data was imported from a GEDCOM file. Since some people have several notes like this you must have imported the data from GEDCOM several times.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Nick

that is strange..because I don't recall importing the gedcom of my tree into it again.

could anything be corrected by importing the gedcom into a new tree..or would that just randomly generate the numbers again.?

I'll sort thru it..perhaps I'll just have to re-label my pictures with the new numbers...

Thanks

R.