Another suggestion - K&KPro entering same information

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

Another suggestion - K&KPro entering same information

Post by Richard Johnston » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:01 am

just wondering,

could there be a way to retain the info registered in the location area of the data between times that i open and close the program. I have a lot to put in currently, but don't want to leave the computer up all the time, but am tired of re-entering the smae locations again and again.

any suggestions or is this an upgrade idea..maybe an option to consider adding?

thanks

Richard

Rodney Fry

Post by Rodney Fry » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:02 am

Richard,

If I have understood your query correctly at least part of the answer is given in the HELP page when you open a Person or Family entry dialogue window in KKP. It states therein
"To speed up entering the same place names over and over, you can press F2 or right-click in a text edit field to display a pick-list of entries made during this session. Click on the required entry or use the down arrow key and press Return to enter the text into the current field. Press Escape to cancel the pick-list."

Does that help ?

Richard Johnson

Post by Richard Johnson » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:02 am

Thanks Rodney,

I think this is the feature I am already aware of and using, its the loss of the fields between sessions I am trying to address. I had a family book presented to me wth about 300 pages of family info to add. I can only work on it piece-meal maybe an hour at a time and when I close down K&K, I loose the data fields. I can't leave the computer up and on Kith and Kin 24 hrs a day, and at my current rate, it would need it to stay on one session for about 2 months.
Anyways, that's the problem I am trying to address. I think the only other time I ran into this was when I first inputed my original data to K&K. Does this explain what I am trying to work on better?

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:03 am

We don't anticipate making K&KPro hold on to the "quick entry" lists between sessions. The lists would get extremely long and contain all the mis-spellings, etc.

Richard Johnston

Post by Richard Johnston » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback Nick,

I know you said you don't plan to add a way to hold the quick enrty lists, but could there be a way to add a "keep quick entries between sessions" button that perhaps we could turn on or off (default to off)to allow for the feature I am suggestiing.

That would then keep K&K from maintaining all the quick entries and errors as you pointed out through normal use and views, but address the feeature I recommend for extended and/or multiple entry sessions. I'm still only 1/2 way through the data I am currently working on, and REALLY notice the constant re-enrty issue.

thanks,

Richard

John Rastall

Post by John Rastall » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:04 am

This would be a good feature and I would like to see that implemented in the next update/bug fix. Yes, it would need to be optional and it would be prefection if the list could be edited somehow.

Richard Johnston

again, feedback from nick?

Post by Richard Johnston » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 am

Nick

any comments regarding the follow-ups to the original submission...just would like your thoughts on the last few comments on this thread

Richard