Access Violation at Address Kith & Kin Pro v3.2.4

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Post Reply
keepstang
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Access Violation at Address Kith & Kin Pro v3.2.4

Post by keepstang » Sun May 15, 2016 6:25 pm

I have been getting Access Violation errors when trying to update people/family information, or export info to pdf format, and sometimes even printing reports. I have been using Kith & Kin since its inception many years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed this User-Friendly program. The latest issues I have been having now expand to gedcom issues that have been created by Kith & Kin Pro. Up until now, I have created many Family Trees on my Ancestry.ca account using gedcoms created from my Kith & Kin Pro Trees, but am now seeing errors in the Ancestry trees that I have just created from recently-created gedcom files in the last couple of days. Deceased persons are randomly being tagged as Living, despite the fact that their death dates have been entered. Ancestry.ca is baffled by this issue and have never seen this problem before.

I have tried the "Repair" function in Kith & Kin Pro for several trees, but these glitches & errors are still occurring.

Please advise as to a fix for this problem as I have spent a lot of time with Kith & Kin Pro over the years, but am now at a point where I may have to find a new program to take its place.

Sincerely,
Betty Stewart
British Columbia, Canada

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Access Violation at Address Kith & Kin Pro v3.2.4

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun May 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi,
Please use "Help | Upload data to Support" in Kith and Kin Pro and we will try to reproduce the problem and then hopefully fix your database.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Access Violation at Address Kith & Kin Pro v3.2.4

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon May 16, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,

Thank you for sending us your database.

We have run various tests on the database but unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce the problem you are seeing. We are able to export the entire database as a GEDCOM file (this is where problems would normally show up), we can export various reports as PDF and update random person/family records without problems. We believe the database itself is OK.

We also noted the problems you reported with the Death flags so we did an SQL query of the People table to compare the Death flags against death/burial fields, and again there was no problem - the Death flags are correctly set.

There is one other thing which would be different on your computer and that is the contents of the preferences file. Ensure that Kith and Kin Pro is closed down. Please look in the folder "ProgramData\KKPro" and rename the file "KithKinP.ini" to "KithKinP_OLD.ini". When you now start up Kith and Kin Pro, this file will be recreated with default settings. This may help.

keepstang
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Re: Access Violation at Address Kith & Kin Pro v3.2.4

Post by keepstang » Mon May 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks for checking this out for me .. I have made the change to the .ini file and now my .pdf reports are working fine .. will check out the gedcom exports later today .. Cheers .. Betty Stewart

Post Reply