'merge' problem

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

philipy

'merge' problem

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Nick, I am having a problem merging databases. I've done it before without issues but now instead of adding the second db to the target, it merely duplicates the target on top of itself. Any suggestions please?

Regards
Philip

Nick Hunter

Re: 'merge' problem

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

The only thing I can think of is that the incoming database contains the same data as the target.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi, Yes, I thought of that but I've checked and rechecked and tried it with 2 or 3 different db's.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi,

Please upload the two databases to us and we will try to reproduce the problem. Please use "Help | Upload data to support" and indicate which is the target database.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 am

Nick,
I think I might know where the problem lies. When I went into Remove duplicate people, i found that there were quite few for most people, from when it had copied itself. Many of them I could condense back into the original record, but those that have a picture attached wont cooperate. i get two error messages. The original person record comes up with:
DBISAM Engine Error #10258 Cannot lock record in table 'Pictures'

An the duplicates say:
DBSIM Engine Error #9729 Duplicate Key found in the index 'Order Idx' of the table 'Pictures'

I've tried going into the record and deleting pictures but tht simply freezes the whole thing and I have to use Ctl/alt/del to get out.

I've also deleted K &K and reinstalled, but it makes no difference.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi,
It sounds like there may be corruption in the database. Please try using "File | Database | Repair" and then "File | Database | Pack".

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Nick, I had tried that before, but I've done it again with no effect I'm afraid.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:59 am

Hi,

Thank you for sending us your databases. My apologies for the delay, I did not realise that you had uploaded them.

The Jackman database already includes two copies of all the families in the Piddington database which is why you are seeing duplication when you merge the Piddington database. The family groups are well spread out on the main view and you can use "Search | Go to family" to find the groups as follows:

F132 (57 families)
F186 (46)
F195 (36)
F295 (16 - duplicates from Piddington)
F334 (16 - duplicates from Piddington)

Total number of families = 171 and confirmed by "Tools | Statistics".

If you are having problems removing the duplicates, try selecting a duplicated group on the main view and using "Edit | Delete families" and select both "Delete parents" and "Delete children". We tried this with your database and did not get any error messages.

You also have a large number of people in limbo, ie. people who do not appear in any of your families. You can check this list by using "Tools | People in limbo". Several of these also appear in your Piddington database.

Hope this helps.