Odd Error Message during Installing Latest v3.2.0

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Odd Error Message during Installing Latest v3.2.0

Post by Rodney Fry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Running Win XP Pro SP3.
I have just installed the latest ver of KKP over my previous v3.1.3.
Using the Installation Wizard dialogue I changed the suggested location from
C:\Program Files\Kith&KinPro
to the individual named folders where I usually install applications, i.e.
C:\Kith & Kin Pro

The procedure appeared to go through the installation, but the last window said there were errors in installing some items and a red cross apeared in the bottom left corner. I decided to tick complete installation and let KKP open. With hindsight I should have done an Alt+Prt Scrn to save the last window.

The KKP program appears to open and work as normal, but is there a "log file" that might tell me what the apparent errors were? I notice that there is a folder under
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\KKPro
containg mainly *.TXT and *.RGN files, but there is one file
default.rgn dated today from the update installation?

My data files are located in a RAID drive as
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010
I made a minor change to one of the database files with KKP and opened the corresponding TD file and this appears to have linked and picked up the change correctly.

Should I uninstall all KKP folders via ControlPanel/Add/Remove Programs, or just continue as if nothing is wrong, Nick? All a bit puzzling.
Or would it be sensible to download the update again and try re-installing once more, unless that is likely to cause other problems!

Thanks for any feedback.

Rodney Fry

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 am

Hi,

As you say, it's hard to know what the problem was during installation without a log file. Windows does have this feature but you have to enable it in advance (it's disabled by default). See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852

I think if K&KPro is running OK then the installation was successful but if you want to make sure then uninstalling through the Control Panel and reinstalling is required.

Rodney Fry

Post by Rodney Fry » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Thank you, Nick, for pointing out the MS KB article Q314852. I was not aware of the this utility, although it is not clear from the text whether it runs in the background when installing software or whether one must install an application via the Logging Program? Before downloading this item and trying again I thought I would just check KKP through the "Help" pull-down menu.

In "About Kith and Kin Pro V3" it states ver 3.2.0. and DBISAM V2.4 Build 4.

Clicking on "Check for Updates" it tells me the software is up to date, so presumably some flag is set to confirm this by checking that all updates have been applied? Looking at the KKP executable this is dated 15/03/2012, as are Updater.EXE and Pad_file.xml. Would this be indicated so if the KKP files had not been properly updated? Are there any other new files that should be there with that date and, if not, show a failure?

Opening in Notepad "updater.ini" with date modified given as 04/04/2012 it shows:

[General]
ApplicationName=Kith and Kin Pro V3
DownloadsFolder=C:\SpanSoft updates\Kith and Kin Pro V3\3.2.0\
ID={B29717D7-0FC4-43D9-B9CF-C124C7CD9856}
URL=http://www.spansoft.org/downloads/kithk ... pdates.aiu
AppDir=C:\Kith & Kin Pro\
CheckFrequency=10
CompanyName=SpanSoft

Also the folder "Web Source" has the date 04/04/2012.

So although I am puzzled by the installer error message statement at the end of the process, with the progress bars at the time showing everything behaving, I am now wondering if in fact all is correct. I have looked at a number of databases and they all open.

Rodney Fry