Automatic back-up FIle

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Automatic back-up FIle

Post by Rodney Fry » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 pm

I have just realised looking at "Options/Preferences Options tab" there is a backup file located at

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\KKPro

this doesn't seem to hold any of my database data? The latest file is
default.rgn 08/03/2011, but this is not a database.
There is also a folder marked TreeDraw, but again there is only a sample located there.

It is not critical as I keep all the working databases in my RAID disc so there are two copies, but does KKP actually back-up any databases? On reflection I wonder if this backup file is holding just the user preferences? I think you have said elsewhere at sometime, Nick, that each change as made, immediately amends the database, so that it is always holding the latest information and therefore there is no need for a working back-up.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 am

Hi,

Backing-up is not automatic.

Here is the explanation of the "File | Database | Backup" function from the Kith and Kin Pro help file:

To make backing-up your data easier, you should periodically use the Backup function to instantly create a single, zipped archive of the current database. This will also include all images stored in the \Pictures subfolder but does not include the timeline files from "C:\KKPro3Data". The backup file will be stored in the backup folder specified in Options | Preferences | Options. Normally this is "My Documents\KKPro".

You should include the backup file(s) from the backup folder in your usual backup routine. You may also wish to backup the contents of "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\KKPro" (XP) or "\ProgramData\KKPro" (Vista/Win7) which stores the Kith and Kin Pro options files.

If you need to recover the data from a backup file you can use File | Database | Restore.