error adding user defined field

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Post Reply
sdj
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

error adding user defined field

Post by sdj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:01 pm

I want to add a new Used defined Field for the 1911 census. I have successfully done this in the past in several databases but today I get the error DBISAM Engine Error 11013 Access Denied to table or back up file People. I suspect it is due to moving to Win 7 64 bit a few months ago.
Thanks

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

Are you still able to update data in this database successfully?

Error 11013 is usually as a result of either having a second copy of K&KPro with the same database open or not having sufficient privileges to access the database folder.

sdj
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by sdj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes, I am updating data OK. I've just tried closing and opening database and have same error. No other copies are open.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 am

Hi,

So it could be a privileges problem. You need to check that your Windows user profile has read/write permission for the folder where you are storing the database.

sdj
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by sdj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks. I found out recently when I installed Kith& Kin on my new Windows 7 laptop that it installed in a place called Virtual Store and wasn't where I expected it to be. I gather that all 'older' programs are put here for some sort of safety reason. When I tried to change the privileges from read only it would not keep the change. So I copied the folders to my usual program folder from Virtual Store. There was an older set of folders already there from when copied my files from my backup on setting up the new laptop. I renamed these. I have tried to get the program to run now but first it said my help file was corrupt and to reinstall. I did this but now it is saying the layers.dat table does not exist and I can't open the program. It also may have re-installed in the Virtual Store and I may be back where I started. I seem in a right mess now - please help as I need to access the program.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 am

Hi,

From Vista onwards, Windows uses a process called "Virtualization" to prevent files being updated in sensitive areas of the file system. This includes files in the root folder of the Windows volume (usually C: ) and all files anywhere in the "Program files" heirarchy. In practice this means that you can't store data files in these locations. If you do then Windows automatically writes the updated files to the Virtual Store instead of the original location. Of course this is a major headache for databases where you could end up with only some of the files in the Virtual Store.

Kith and Kin Pro 3 gets around this Windows limitation by storing the databases in C:\KKPro3Data. This is where you should store your data.

sdj
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by sdj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi
When I copy my databases to C:\KKPro3data and browse to that location the databases are not recognised as a database - not even the Sample that was previously there. What does the database need to be recognised as a KKPro3 database?

(I originally stopped storing data on C on my previous XP system as my backup program didn't back up files stored there)

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi,

Standard file list for a Kith and Kin Pro V3 database folder :

Pictures <folder>
Aliases.dat
Aliases.idx
DB.INI
dbisam.lck <optional>
Documents.blb
Documents.dat
Documents.idx
Families.dat
Families.idx
Layers.dat
Layers.idx
Links.dat
Links.idx
Notes.blb
Notes.dat
Notes.idx
Objects.blb
Objects.dat
Objects.idx
People.dat
People.idx
Pictures.blb
Pictures.dat
Pictures.idx
PLayers.dat
PLayers.idx
Repositories.blb
Repositories.dat
Repositories.idx
Sources.blb
Sources.dat
Sources.idx
UFields.dat
UFields.idx

The folder may also contain files of the same names with .dbk and .ibk extensions.

sdj
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by sdj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi
The Sample database in C:\KKPro3Data\Sample_V3 has all the above files and yet when I browse to it it is not recognised as a database and so I cannot open it. Nothing appears in the first window under Database nameand the larger one just has the word Pictures in it. I am at a loss to understand why the program is not seeing the databases I have in this location.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 am

Hi,

Please use "File | Database | Open", click on the "Browse" button and set the database root folder to "C:\KKPro3Data".

Post Reply