Backup Options

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

Backup Options

Post by donne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Any suggestions for managing backup? I note that there is a backup option in KKPro3. I suppose that backs up individual databases whereas I usually copy the whole of the database folder onto an external HDD, keeping tbe last three versions. Works OK, provided I remember to copy the datafolder regularly, but it would be useful if KKPro provided a reminder.

Peter Rawbone

Post by Peter Rawbone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 pm

What's wrong with the built-in option - File\Database\Backup or Control and F2 ?
It works for me 8)

donne

Post by donne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am

Well, mainly because I've got several databases, all being worked on, and by capturing the whole folder I can backup the lot in one go, and not just the one currently loaded.
Roger

Peter Rawbone

Post by Peter Rawbone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Fair comment :) Anyone else have any ideas ?
Peter

Rodney Fry

Post by Rodney Fry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I have a motherboard which allows setting up RAID organised hard drives - the system is Win XP SP2 on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 - my standby machine still runs Win 98SE, but this had a Abit KR7A RAID motherboard although I never set it up. I believe that a number of manufacturers make such boards.

The "backup" is done effectively done every time I use any of the family tree databases (and TreeDraw!) and any other files without further input from me. In theory, if one of the two HDs fail then the data is still available and can be accessed, and by installing a replacement HD preferably the same size, the RAID can be re-activated.

Having said that my tower case also has a a removable HD drive caddy and if I want then every so often I copy the files to this HD. Perhaps all this is a bit of overkill, particularly as the machine also has a CD/DVD writer!

Rodney Fry

lambertx

Backups

Post by lambertx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm

I would like to be able to backup to 3 different computers on my LAN. Do I have to go to Options and change the destination folder each time? A "Save As" command would solve the problem and be really useful.