Merging - the tree does not appear near the original.

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

gjpluis

Merging - the tree does not appear near the original.

Post by gjpluis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:41 am

Hi,

I merged two dbs expecting the trees to appear in the same area and or with links between the relevant family/person but this did not occur. The merged group is placed totally out of the tree area and can only be brought to the view area by selecting a person and using the go to button.
Also when I try and drag this group toward the top it appears to be moving but never does.
I created a new family with a person from each tree that created the family line but the line continued to infinity and I could not draw the two tree groups together.

I am using V3 and have over 1500 people in the primary db and 71 in the merge db

Any ideas, all help appreciated.

Regards
Garry

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 am

Hi,

This quite normal. Here's the procedure for moving family rectangles large distances on the Tree Area.

Use "Search | Go to family" to scroll to the group of newly-merged families. Zoom out enough so that they are visible and select them all using the selection marquee. Now use "Go to family" again and select a family from the original database (the other group). Now use "Edit | Move selection" and left-click on a clear part of the Tree Area near the original group. This will move all of the selected families to the mouse position.

gjpluis

Thank You

Post by gjpluis » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 am

Thank you Nick,

That works a treat. I played about for hours trying to achieve that result.

A lot easier than entering all those souls again.

Also thanks for the prompt reply, you not only have a great program but great support as well.

Cheers
Garry