Free SQL tool for advanced DBISAM database operations

Our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

jhunt02

Free SQL tool for advanced DBISAM database operations

Post by jhunt02 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

http://www.dienhart.com (broken link) offers a nifty little freeware DBISAM SQL tool called DDQM (Daboo DBISAM 4 Query Manager) that will let you perform SELECTs, UPDATEs etc. on your KKPro3 tables, using the full range of advanced SQL syntax supported by the DBISAM database engine, including multiple nested subqueries with complex joins.

It will also let you export results into Excel as a formatted report, and it allows you to directly edit the data from simple (single-table) query results.

But the tool is very powerful, so whether or not you're an SQL expert, try it out on a backup copy of your database first.

- John Hunt

PS: Various versions of the "DBISAM Version 4 Manual" which describe in detail all the SQL functions and syntax supported by DBISAM can be downloaded from http://www.elevatesoft.com/manual?action=manual&id=dbisam4 (broken link). These manuals are intended as documentation for software developers, but they all have an "SQL Reference" section that is independent of this.

donne

Post by donne » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:23 am

That looked really interesting but when I visited the site I got a McAfee Site Advisor red warning with the explanation "When we tested this site we found links to softdll.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs".

Mind you, McAfee Site Advisor does tend to be over-cautious - in the past, even the Spansoft site had a red warning for some reason.

jhunt02

Post by jhunt02 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes, the site is a bit loud and I can believe it contains links to other sites which may also provide "iffy" content. However, the DDQM software itself is legitimate and I have tried it out. I scanned both the installer and the resulting installed programs (also with McAfee) and they were clean. I expect the programmer wrote it in order to teach himself how to use DBISAM.