www.spansoft.org

SpanSoft help and discussion forums.
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Default UK timeline
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 am 

Hi Nick,

Experimenting with the timeline feature I deleted the default UK timeline, luckily I had made a copy. If I hadn't made a copy where could I recover it from without reinstalling Kith and Kin Pro V3? I cannot find a copy in "Data files" in the "Downloads" section of your web site.

The program creates a directory "KKPro" under "My Documents" where it saves the query files by default. This folder also contains some timeline files. If I save my query files in a different location and rename the "KKPro" directory the system creates another "KKPro" containing a "Default.rgn" file. How can I tell the system to create the "KKPro" directory in a different location?

John Wood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:57 am 

Hi John,

I would be interested to know how you managed to delete the default UK timeline; it should be impossible in the "Customize timeline" window :-)

The way to restore the default timeline is to delete all the "Timelines" and "TLEvents" files from the C:\KKPro3data folder and then reinstall K&KPro3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm 

Hi Nick,

I did not set out to delete the Default UK timeline but I cleared it by the following commands:-

Select a family
View Timeline -> [CONTROL T]
Customise Timeline -> Right Click -> Customise
Right Click -> Clear -> Confirm Warning -> [Yes]
Close Customise Timeline Window
Selecting -> Historical events in the Timeline window now adds no extra events.

I restored it by restoring the backed up files into the C:\KKPro3data folder.

John Wood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:34 pm 

Hi John,

Oh I see, you just cleared the timeline events, you didn't actually delete the timeline. That's OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:08 pm 

Hi Nick,

I also renames it. I know the renamed timeline cannot be deleted but the entries had all been erased. I was wondering how I would have restored them if I had not made a copy.

My second point was on the "KKPro" folder under "My Documents" . Are you saying that the "C:\KKPro3data" folder & the "My Documents\KKPro" folders are both required by the program even if I relocate the data folders from "C:\KKPro3data" & the saved queries from "My Documents\KKPro"?

John Wood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 am 

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to respond to your second point.

That's correct both "C:\KKPro3data" and "My Documents\KKPro" folders must exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 pm 

HI,

I would also like to know how I can relocate the program folders including the KKPro folder, timeline files and backup folder into a location other than the c:\ as I have limited memory on my unreliable comp and save the majority of my programs etc to an external drive. This also means I have the convenience that I can plug the external drive in anywhere and use the programs. Especially useful when a computer crashes ! This doesn't violate anything as I only have the one program on one drive. It just isn't the c:\. I can change the location of where the tree is saved, why not the other files ? Being tied to the one computer "brain" is extremely inconvenient!

I've tried to do this with Kith and Kin Pro V3 however keep getting the message "Feature unavailable - Timeline tables could not be opened." when I open the tree. The tree still opens and I have all my other information.

I believe this ties in partly to laschapas' query " . . .The program creates a directory "KKPro" under "My Documents" where it saves the query files by default. This folder also contains some timeline files. If I save my query files in a different location and rename the "KKPro" directory the system creates another "KKPro" containing a "Default.rgn" file. How can I tell the system to create the "KKPro" directory in a different location? . . ."

Thanks,

Juanita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:48 pm 

Hi,

The timeline database files must reside in the "<Windows volume>\KKPro3Data" folder.

Kith and Kin Pro uses and creates some ancillary files in the "<My documents>\KKPro" folder. It is possible to change the location of the <My documents> folder in Windows, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147 (XP) or http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/95/1/How-to-move-the-special-folders-in-Windows-Vista.html (Vista/Win7).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:15 am 

System: Windows XP Pro Sp2, K&K Pro v 3.1.0
I have just come across this thread referring to keeping the KKProv3 data on different drives.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the query, but I have my databases on two physically different drives the KKPro executable program resides on one and I can open any of the files in either of the data folders.

Local Disc C:\Program Files\Kith and Kin Prov V3
C:\KKPro3Data
and
RAIDSPACE D:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010

As far as I recall I just pasted the data folder into the drive and browsed with KKP to access the family file I wanted.

Rodney Fry