Crop marks to facilitate joining pages

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Frank Dunne

Post by Frank Dunne » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:46 am

Nick

Even though a long term user of Of that Ilk and TreeeDraw I have only recently commenced to use TreeDraw to any considerable degree. Additionally have just acquired a HP 8150 Laser printer which prints up to A3 - so reducing number of pages to print and assemble - especially when large descendant trees are involved..

To facilitate assembly of large trees easier is it possible to include crop marks on the pages - and ideally an overlap (duplication) of the printing on each page so that one may be trimmed and overlaid and/or aligned with its neighbour more easily.

Thanks

Frank

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Whilst I appreciate the usefulness of crop marks for people using A4 (or A3) printers may I just make a plea that, should they be implemented, it is as an optional feature.

We print out on banner paper - for example a chart last week which was 6 x A2 page equivalents. The way we achieve this is to print multiple pages with zero left and right margins so the output is continuous. Obviously in such cases crop marks would spoil the output.

Regards,
Graham

Frank Dunne

Post by Frank Dunne » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:28 pm

Graham

Appreciate your comments - and I guess you are using continuous paper (banner) on a plotter which would provide an excellent final product - for commercial applications. My application is for purely domestic and personal use.

Having said that I agree with your input and being able to toggle crop marks on/off would be desirable - and from your perspective essential.

Probably we are premature in defining characteristics - it may not even be possible. If it can be provided perhaps Nick could make it available as a patch for which a fee is paid.

Essentially enhancements to programs desired by some for inclusion should be paid for by the user who wants the enhancement.

Regards from Oz

Frank

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Frank,

I've been thinking back to the days when I used to print charts on A4 and stick the pages together. What I used to do was ensure that there were only lines (not text) at the page breaks, which made lining up a bit easier.

I have a suggestion for a work-around which might help you. If you set the grid to visible and "display as lines" - on the Options/Preferences menu - you could create your own crop marks near the page edges. That may assist in lining up.

Regards,
Graham