Default settings

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Clive Hawkins

Default settings

Post by Clive Hawkins » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:19 pm

When you open a dialog box, sometimes the settings are the default ones and sometimes they are the settings which you last entered.

1) As an example, Options/Preferences/Appearance will always come up with H & V grid spacings of 20 & 20, whatever you used last time.

2) However, Options/Preferences/Import Graphics always has (for instance) the font sizes and word wrap settings you used last time.

Can one alter default settings (1) or revert to default settings (2) ?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:49 am

Some options are saved with the chart (.TDR) file. If you look at "Options | Preferences | File settings" it will tell you which options. You can also save the defaults for these particular options here.

The grid spacing is one of them but the "Import graphics" options are not. In fact from V3, the "Import graphics" options can be stored in a profile so that you can manage different styles of import better (see "Options | Preferences | Import profiles").

jayrae

Defaults, Grids and Page Margins

Post by jayrae » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:16 am

1) As an example, Options/Preferences/Appearance will always come up with H & V grid spacings of 20 & 20, whatever you used last time.
That can be very annoying having to change the grid spacing everytime I create a new tree. I've looked in the treedraw.ini file and although the following are in there:
GridLines=N
GridVis=Y
GridOn=Y
GridKill=50
GridColour=255,128,64

Things like:
GridHor=20
GridVer=20

are not. I know that the Grid settings are saved with the *.tdr file but when making a new treedraw file having the defaults last used would save no end of time fiddling with them.

This also applies to the File/Page Setup window. It's nice that it saves that I want it in mm not inches, but it drives me batty that I have to keep changing the Margins to 10mm everytime I create a new tree!

Can these be suggested to the programmers? Including any other options that are changeable but are not saved as defaults.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:46 am

This is exactlty what "Options | Preferences | File settings | Save settings" is for. It allows you to save the defaults for options which are normally saved as part of a TreeDraw chart file.