www.spansoft.org

SpanSoft help and discussion forums.
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm
Posts: 5
Hello,

When I try to import a GEDCOM, the progress bar gets to about three quarters through before displaying the following error:

"Access Violation at address 0062B15F in module 'Treedraw.exe'. Read of address 00000000".

I deleted the Treedraw.ini file and tried again and got the same error. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled and got the same error.

I should add that my tree contains 9183 individuals, in case this is related.

Best,

William Gordon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 638
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

Most likely there is a problem within the GEDCOM file. Please email the file to us using the email address at http://www.spansoft.org/cont.php and we will try to find out what it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 638
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Hi,

Thank you for sending us your GEDCOM file.

There are several GEDCOM formatting errors in the file, please see the example below where some lines start with the level number "1" but are otherwise blank. I'm not sure why "MyHeritage Family Tree Builder" would be exporting a GEDCOM file with these errors, so it's probably a question you should ask them.

Of course, TreeDraw should not have crashed when faced with these errors, but merely ignored them. We will release an update to address this.

---------------------------
0 @I8920@ INDI
1 RIN MH:I8920
1 _UID 577808ebf53ac1e69ced84a6c8508cd6
1 _UPD 02 JUL 2016 20:10:48 GMT+-0
1 NAME Alexander /Gordon/
2 GIVN Alexander
2 SURN Gordon
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 _UID 577809383e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21354
2 DATE AUG 1635
2 PLAC Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
1 DEAT
2 _UID 577809393e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21355
2 DATE 15 AUG 1697
2 PLAC Walleigh Falls, Rockingham, New Hampshire, United States
1 Civil
2 _UID 5778118c3e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21366
2 PLAC Exeter, New Hampshire
1
2 _UID 5778118c3e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21367
1 MARR
2 _UID 5778118c73aeb1e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21368
2 PLAC of MA
1
2 _UID 5778118c73aeb1e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21369
1 BURI
2 _UID 5778118d3e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21370
2 PLAC Exeter, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States of America
1
2 _UID 5778118d3e6611e69ced84a6c8508cd6
2 RIN MH:IF21371
1 FAMS @F3323@
1 FAMC @F3324@


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm
Posts: 5
Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt and informative reply. The particular sample you have included in your post is the only part of the family tree which was added using the MyHeritage Family Tree Builder's 'Merge' facility from another user's tree so it looks like there is perhaps a fault in their merging process. May I ask if there was any useful tool you used to quickly determine the problems with the GEDCOM, or were the formatting errors discovered by manual inspection?

Thanks also for undertaking to add code to the next release to deal with this particular error. As you rightly point out it is a fault of MyHeritage. Do you know roughly when the updated release might be available?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 638
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Hi,

Unfortunately with your GEDCOM file being so large and the problem lines also appearing as parts of valid lines, there is no easy way to correct the GEDCOM file manually. The way we found the errors was to import your GEDCOM file into the development version of TreeDraw and log how much of the file had been read when it failed. This gave us the byte position of the first error and took about 5 hours.

We hope to have an updated version of TreeDraw which will address this issue within a week or so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm
Posts: 5
Hi,

Thanks once again for the information. Using your info, I was able to alter the data in the part of the tree that had been 'merged'. In case other users are also making use of MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, I'll outline the steps I took:

1) Navigated to the part of the tree indicated by your sample.

2) Double-clicked on the names mentioned and others in the merged tree.

3) For each individual, selected the 'Facts' tab.

4) In this tab, there were entries in the 'Facts' table that were blank. I selected these facts and clicked 'Delete Fact', then 'OK'.

5) Once I had done this for all individuals in the 'merged' tree that had 'blank' facts, I exported a new GEDCOM and imported it into Treedraw, where it worked and no longer displayed the error experienced previously.

Thanks again.
William


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 638
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
This issue was fixed in TreeDraw release V4.4.1. Please use "Help | Check for updates" in TreeDraw to download the latest version.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group